Best Checking Account for Traveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thefitworldtraveler, Oct 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the Charles Schwab high yield checking account. The checking account is 100% online, meaning you make deposits by mailing in a check. The downside is you can't make cash deposits.

With no brick and mortar branches, you can withdraw money from any ATM and all ATM fees will be rebated at the end of the month.

From my experience the ATM transactions give the best currency conversion rate compared to carrying cash and exchanging them at the airport.

I was wondering if anyone else has any other checking account that is better than the Schwab checking account or any other way to get money while overseas.

Halothane, Espan and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love my Charles Schwab Checking. I have had then Fedex me a new debit card to the other side of the world when mine expired.....at no charge. I also like that it's very easy to get a hold of a human when I find that I do need to speak to someone.

Aside from not being able to deposit cash....there are really no downsides to the account (especially if you have an iPhone to do photo deposits of checks).

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Schwab Bank is great.

An even better option may be Service Credit Union. They rebate ATM fees (with some restrictions) and even rebate the 1% Visa fee on foreign ATM withdrawals! They offer a Euro bill payment service and a few other products set up specifically to help US citizens living in Germany. Physical branches in southern New Hampshire and on military bases in Germany.

PenFed may have some similar offerings, but I'm less familiar with it.

4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any bank account filled with money is the best one for travelling, if you ask me.

Scottrick and catgirl like this.
  5. I believe, Charles Schwab has really great reputation.;) I have also read this related article: A high-yield checking account is fee free and may even pay you. I would say that with a little digging a consumer can discover a local bank, regional bank or credit union that is pleased to sign you up for a high-yield account that is fee-free and may even pay you.That is the best part! :) I guess,that will definitely push customers to switch banks.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've long been happy with BankDirect, customer service has been good for me in the 8+ years I've been using them and the AA miles are great. ;)

7. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that even if you find an account with better benefits than Schwab, you're unlikely to find better customer service. Every time I call them up, I'm connected to a human within 2 minutes who is based in the US and is extremely willing to help me out. I'd recommend Schwab as a bank to anyone in the US, regardless of travel patterns.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. trivuong

trivuong Active Member

Status Points:
  9. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Schwab!

traveler likes this.