Best CHECKED Luggage VALUE

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gleff, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's a good luggage discussion here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/best-luggage.2462/

For carryon I am a big fan of my Briggs & Riley 20" Baseline. I love my Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer laptop bag.

I rarely check a bag. A 4 night trip to Paris in Winter? I'm good with my 20" rollaboard. Six nights in the Caribbean? Again, that 20" back works for me.

But 2-3 trips per year I need to check a bag. So it's really just occasional use. Last month's two-week Asia trip, where I'm doing both beach and a city, and heading to dinner at a couple of restaurants where I need a jacket even.

My old bag has had it, it got beaten up pretty good, and I stupidly just tossed it as I was unpacking. Now I don't even remember the size, in my mind it was a 26" bag but looking back in my email for the receipt when I bought it about 6 years ago I think it was a 24". So I guess I'm doing a 2-week trip with a 24" bag and my 20" rollaboard. (Alright, I'm not one of those "one bag" guys!).

Given that it's a 2-3 times a year thing, I really don't want to break the bank on a replacement. Looking for good value, a bag that will last, that I can throw a suit into along with enough everything else to last for two weeks and I don't mind if it's too big if I'm just headed abroad for 6-7 nights.

Part of me thinks I ought to just grab a $75 Atlantic 25" bag on eBags. I see the Travelpro Crew 8 26" expandable suiter for $215. But then the Travelpro Maxlite 25" (which I know nothing about) is available for just $105 at LuggageOnline.

See, I'm not really wanting to drop $350 (x2, one for msgleff) for the Briggs & Riley.

As a checked bag pseudo-novice, what do y'all think? Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I check bags often, mostly to take out empty and return full. I have had ones of nearly every brand. Because they get abused unmercifully i never spend much money, and throw the bag away when it deteriorates. I have had the best balance of cheap and durable from Victorinox, but I will only buy them at a 60% plus discount. Otherwise i have Atlantics. they seem to last decently and they are cheap.

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I was about to suggest the carryon version of the Kirkland, but it appears Costco has redesigned this to a huge backlash. I have the previous generation with an interior expansion instead off the zip/unzip expansion and I love the bag, but it now appears I might actually have to take care of it until Costco comes to their senses and returns the carryon to the proper 22x14x9 dimensions.

6. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also Mr. Cdn Traveller's go to checked bag. His is bright yellow - never a problem locating it on the baggage carousel. Sometimes a problem locating me anywhere near him when he's carrying it in to a hotel - I pretend I'm not with him. ;)

8. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it great to know, however, that you can strap it to a yak or to a camel anytime? :D :D :D

9. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha I know what you mean! we do love that extra attention ;)

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP asked for checked luggage value, that's why I put the link to the bigger bag there.

A visit to Costco earlier this week showed they still have the rollaboard version.

11. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have it backwards: Your carry-on remains under your own care and need not have the sturdiest construction or the greatest warranty in the world. Checked luggage is where you need to throw your resources.

I have been through the whole range, from $15 bags available in Indian stores to $500+ Tumi/Hartman. In the end I decided that in wheeled bags the best values was in B&R Baseline. By waiting for sales, discontinued models, stores going out of business, etc., I was able to average in low $200's. But even if you paid $300, the difference is not significant when spread over 10-20 years.

Frequency of use for checked luggage is irrelevant. Your concern is not with routine wear and tear, which only causes cosmetic issues, but sudden damage somewhere. One good analogy is getting a flat tire - usually it is not from wear and tear, but one nail, one piece of glass. A Rolls Royce driven infrequently on brand new tires can get one as can a beat up Chevy used daily. Both need a spare tire and possibly AAA. And just as you can't arrange to get a flat tire in front of a tire-repair shop, your luggage in not going to break in your closet or in front of a luggage-repair shop, but at a belt in a far away airport most likely at midnight. :)

Now I am not saying it must be B&R. Some Travelpro, Victorinox, Boyt, etc could be just fine. When Andiamo was on liquidation sale, I would have picked them over B&R just for value. However, unless you do find a better value with reliable no-questions-asked warranty, I'd push B&R. The warranty must cover airline damage, which is the only damage we are concerned with, otherwise over long run you'd pay more money for lower quality luggage. Warranty against manufacturing defects etc is useless: this is not complex electronics, and any defects should be obvious in the first few days if not hours.

Although I prefer Baseline, some of that preference is due to classic colors and clean lines, and B&R's Transcend line has prices that are lower by about $100. If you happen to find very good deals on Travelpro Platinum, Victorinox NXT, Boyt Mach, etc., those would be fine too, including older generations.

Let us know what you find and decide!

12. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which is why so many of us recommend Costco. The warranty there is: Anything happens that you don't like, you take it back and get a replacement.