Best chance for op-up on full Emirates flight?

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by LarryInNYC, May 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked later this month on EX in economy from JFK-MXP. No economy seats are being sold for the flight, so I assume it's already full and potentially oversold in economy (business seats are still available). I hold no status with Emirates and am not even a member of their program (I currently have my Alaska account listed for accrual).

I assume innumerable people will be ahead of me for op-ups in the event they are oversold in economy, but is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting bumped forward?
    1. Is it worthwhile joining Skywards and listing that number on my reservation, or am I no better off than having my Alaska Airlines number (I'm not an elite with Alaska)?
    2. Am I better off checking in earlier or later?
    3. Any other tips?

2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arrive early at the airport and ask. Let the agent know if you are willing to pay a supplement to upgrade.

anileze likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wear a big button on your nice suit that reads "I support the 3 ME"

anileze likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would rate your chance of getting an op-up at near zero :eek:

it will make no difference when you check in and no deals will be offered at check-in

Emirates is very careful about defending the value of their Business Class product, they use super strict rules for upgrades, the best you can hope for is an email offering to sell you an upgrade for +/- USD 1000

in 10 years of flying Emirates I probably received this letter 12 times, almost every time I was bumped up at no cost as a Gold member

everybody in Economy that is a Skywards member is ahead of you ;)

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree they are miserly. Unless of course you happen to need wheelchair assistance in boarding. They maybe, just maybe !
    [ bump you up]

jonspencer likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they have amazing yield management I think someone's going to get bumped up on this flight considering it's more than two weeks out and already oversold in economy. I don't expect it to be me, but one can hope. . .

Which would argue in favor of joining Skywards, no?

anileze likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off to have my leg broken. . .

anileze likes this.
  8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the only thing a wheelchair will get you is priority boarding en route to your Economy seat :eek:

upgrades are decided quite simply = Platinum passengers with most tier miles first, then Gold ..........

how you look or when you check in or any other factors get you nothing ;)