Best CC for flying to Europe

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by tommy2tone, Mar 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Howdy. I'm flying to Europe in 2 years. Figure that's plenty of time to earn a bunch of points to get me and at least some of my family members to Europe.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the best card to get? We put about $50k on cedit cards per year between my wife and I.

We're not picky about airline or destination as we can fly within continental Europe pretty inexpensively.

Any suggestions / recommendations? With the plethora of choices, I don't even know where to begin.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obvious answer to me would be the CSP. Transfers easily to UA which has lots of options getting to/from EU. Add to it the 5x rotating from a Freedom and you/your wife should have sufficient amount in 2 yrs to get to EU.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    check out the citi aa cards. You can usually do two apps the same day and get 50k per card for not too much spending. If each adult gets two cards, their flight is pretty much covered.

jmrich1432 and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    but his thing is 2 yrs from now ... and AA earns 1mile/$ vs the potential of 2UR or 5UR/$ w/the Chase UA combo.

at years away ... signup bonus is a negligible value imo. just spending 100k in spending should easily give him enough miles with UA even if UA decides to "enhance" their program.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    To keep things very, very simple I would suggest both applying for CSP and putting ALL spending on those cards, plus a small amount of manufactured spending. You mention "to get me and at least some of my family". Any of those people who can get a CSP should. You (all) could then, some months later apply for the Chase United card for an additional bonus.

These two cards alone could net each person 70k United points just from sign up bonuses. If you flew on UA on a saver fare you would each fly for free with 10k left over. Or, if you couldn't find a saver fare you would each need to earn 40k more points, for 110k points.

Remember, this is keeping things VERY simple for all involved. Minimal card applications and minimal points transferring, but since you are planning so far ahead (good on you!) you shouldn't have any problem getting a few tickets covered.

There are much more convoluted ways to do this but I think this is about as straightforward as it can get.