Best CC for CVS Spend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Mar 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, what are the best options now for CVS spend?

Amex Everyday at 1.5?
    Citi TYP for a year?
    Wells Fargo Cash back for 6 months?
    one of the Amex Blue cards?

2. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex blue cash and Wells Fargo cash back

3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so you're talking about the "American Express Blue Cash" card, often called the "original version" that appears to still be available:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash

And not one of the "new" Blue Cash cards that they put front and center.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/compare/blue-cash

The new ones don't bonus drugstores and only do 1% by default.

So... the Blue Cash does 5X at grocery stores, (select) drugstores & gas stations, but only after the first $6,500 in purchases in a "reward year". Looks like CVS qualifies (CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade and RiteAid). So if you only used this card for VRs at CVS, and made $5,000 x 12 months = $60k in VR purchases, you'd earn 1% on the first $6,500 ($65) and 5% on the rest ($2675) or overall about 4.5%.

Of course the reality would be better than that since after you start earning 5% you'd be nuts not to use it at Gas Stations and Supermarkets unless you're spending towards minimum spend on an AOR or something.

Given that the Wells Fargo card isn't good for 5X after the first six months from what I've seen, how does that compete with this? Sure 5X for 6 months is better than 5X after a month of heavy spending, but given that the 5X vanishes after 6 months and I've got my savings & mortgage with WF and don't want to risk those if I run into an issue with MS, seems like the Amex card is the better long term play no? Course I suppose you could say that VRs might not even be around in six months...

Is there anything better than the classic Blue Cash card?

satman40 likes this.
  4. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Chase Quicken Visa pays 2x points on drugstore purchases. gas stations, restaurants and office supply stores.

satman40 likes this.
  5. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're better off using the Amex Blue cash or Wells Fargo cash back at gas/drugstore and using the ink bold at office supply stores.

satman40 likes this.
  6. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. We've had the Chase Quicken for years -- its a bit of a sleeper.

satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best CC @ CVS is any card they will take....

Thanks for the heads up on Quicken Card,

Old Man is working on his new AA EXECUTIVE AADVANTAGE CARD...it needs a little attention..

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Citi Exec is done actually. Pretty much everything for this AOR except the wife's Amex SPG which we've got 6 months for so no worries. Reloading the wallet with the regular load now... Amex HH for supermarkets, Bold for gas & office supplies, Sapphire for restaurants, Amex SPG for any unbonused spend (or Sapphire if they won't take Amex). Like to have something for CVS that would make the VRs more rewarding. I guess the only problem is that I don't really want cash back. Buying a VR to "spend $500" and getting $25 - $3.95 back is nice and all, but for me the whole miles & points thing is about the fantasy and house money (meaning trips are 'free') etc. Not really all that interested in churning to get money back... Have to think about it. Maybe its time to switch to Serve...

9. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting $25 minus $3.95 on each vr is awesome.
    Better than 500 miles IMHO.

Even better is also 5000 miles a month added without fees.

Sounds like it's time to switch to serve, no?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014