Best CC for > 35K spend (especially to get status)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by bryanschmiedeler, Aug 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bryanschmiedeler

bryanschmiedeler Active Member

Status Points:
    I am using vanilla reloads and BlueBird to pay my mortgage, car, and student loans. Just started doing that and it works out fine. I have been spreading the buys around, so as not to ring up a lot of this on one card.

I was thinking that with these 3 payments alone I will put 35K on my credit cards. I put a lot on credit, but never that much! So maybe I should put 25K to 35K on one card and get a bonus. But what card and what bonus?

I would like to get status on an airline. Or maybe do it on the BA card and get the companion ticket.

Any suggestions?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    Tough to say w/o understand your goals -- I'd probably recommend either Ink bold/ sapphire (flexibility) or SPG Amex

MX likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think with only 25 k you'll get status without flying.

4. bryanschmiedeler

Status Points:

I wouldn't mind flying too, just want to use the 25K to help. Seems to me by looking around that Delta would be the easiest way, but Delta miles are not so lucrative...

edekba likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much and what airlines do you fly now on paid tickets?

6. bryanschmiedeler

Status Points:
    I live in KC and mostly fly American. I fly maybe 4 times per year. If I needed to do some mileage runs, I would do so.

Bryan

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Citi Executive card gets you 10K EQMs for $40K in spend. I don't consider that the best use of $40K in credit card spend even though I do it myself. I do it to help maintain my EXP but I think you could get better value from bonus categories on other cards, like Ink Bold. But, if you're looking for status.....

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my recollection Delta/AA are the only cards that give you EQM/MQM for spend; out of two AA is more useful; but again I doubt 25k will help.
    • Delta Reserve = 30k after $60k
    • Delta Platinum = 20k after $50k
    • AA Exec = 10k after $40k
    You stated you spend about $35k/year ... so unless you can "make up" the difference in amazon payments/VR/etc you're still a bit short

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Surpass maybe

You get hilton diamond at $40,000 in spend. Not counting spend categories that's 120,000 hilton points. Not the most valuable but Hilton has a large property selection. Also the spend categories are good 6 points at gas/supermarket/restaurant.

But without knowing your goals it's tough to recommend. Maybe something flexible like CSP or Amex PRG is best.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you fly that rarely, what real value does status have? It's a lot of investment for something infrequently used, and useful status really starts at the 50-75k levels. I'd likely focus on redeemable points and miles in your position.

marcwint55 and LarryInNYC like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would give serious thought to acquiring a few different cards and doing the minimum spend for the sign-up bonuses on each one. You can then possibly churn a few credit cards and really maximize the miles on your spend. The bonus for spending 35k on one card will probably not make much difference in you travel ability compared to the churning of initial bonuses on cards which may have a big impact.

tulane09 likes this.
  12. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fly much you might need status as bad as you think. I'm in the same boat here in STL. I do love status though. I would try for a companion certificate on BA or SW depending on your travel wants. I just spent 10k on BA to get a bonus 25k avois from the 100k avios deal awhile back. I'm now switching to some new cards to meet minimum spend.

marcwint55 likes this.