Best Category 1 through 4 properties

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Sweet Willie, Feb 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the buy two get 1 free isn't close to being as awesome as Hyatt's B2GO, it is ok and as a traveler who is on their own dime, I can see some ok ROI.

I've been out of the Marriott loop for quite awhile. So am asking for the board's help.

Where are the best cat 1-4 properties to burn the certs? (someone on TOBB mentioned hotels in Asia but the hotels mentioned (like Malaysia) are generally cheap anyways so really not worth burning the certs).

Thanks !

Kalboz, sobore and autolycus like this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I find them a good value on weekend trips to Vegas where the rates can be pricey and I don't mind staying off strip. I'm a fan of the Residence Inn Hughes Center as you can conveniently walk to Starbucks and Gordon Biersch.

Kalboz, Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are category 4 hotels which are quite seasonal or where prices vary over the course of the week, Vegas is a good example where pricing is much higher on weekends, Florida is another example where pricing is high during weekends in the winter especially but where pricing is quite cheap during the summer. So you use the certs for the winter weekends...

Kalboz, Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is Marriott Mesa Phoenix that is a Cat 4 full service hotel. I used them in Hong Kong which normally costs more than $200 per night. I used them in Europe too - CY Basel is a great place to use them especially if you go there during Basel World Trade Fair.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Other good places to use the certs are locations that have periods of high demand due to events/conventions. Things that come to mind are Spring Training in Phoenix during March, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, or college towns across the Big 10 or SEC during football season if you're trying to catch a football game.

I've also thought of the Courtyard San Juan Miramar while doing a mileage jog to SJU.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. nickfromct

nickfromct Silver Member

Status Points:
    We used 2 cat 1-4 certificates last July for a weekend at the Renaissance in Cleveland. We enjoyed the place alot and was within walking distance to the rock and roll hall of fame and Jacob's Field.. They even comped us 2 breakfast buffets, which would have cost ~$17 each.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately with the upcoming devaluation, we will lose a whole bunch of hotels from the cat 4 level. On a positive note, they just made it easier to figure out where there are good values in cat 4 properties before May 15th (pages 8-16). ;)

10. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha - that's a glass half full take on it, if ever there was one!

Sweet Willie, autolycus and Kalboz like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    autolycus likes this.
  12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    370 properties going from 4 to 5 is a HUGE loss in value for that promo.

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    bummer, I always like the grass is greener feeling when I start to get into a new program (was Marriott Plat for a number of year but that was over 15 years ago). This move just ripped any joy out of the experience.:oops:

autolycus likes this.
  14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear ya. I have only stayed in a few Marriott properties over the last few years. They've been nice properties for their market segment, and so I am certainly willing to give them more business if their loyalty program were better. The reality is that it pales in comparison to Hilton's, which is the most equivalent brand, given that they are the two with the most diverse portfolios, spanning big city and small towns in the US and abroad. I have a single night cert from last fall's MegaBonus, and I will be booking something with it very soon, and will not put any stays in Marriotts for this current quarter's similar promo offer because I'm having a hard enough time finding places I want to use this cert.

15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Shanghai City Centre was an outstanding cat 4. Incredible for a cat 4, IMO. Alas, it's moving to a 5.

Kalboz likes this.