Best Cashback card for charging airline tickets?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by PointyWings, Dec 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    What, in your opinion, is the best credit card (in USA) for charging airline tickets and earning cash back? I thought I read sometime ago that US bank offered the maximum %, but going to their site now it seems that they only offer 'points' and not actual cash back. If the points can be converted into cash, does anyone know the formula?

Otherwise I have come across Capital One's 2% (with a $59 annual fee), but nothing better

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US Bank Cash+ allows you to pick "airlines" as one of the two categories for which you can earn 5% cash back. In addition, if you redeem in increments of $100, you get a $25 bonus. (Credit given where credit is due to FrequentMiler: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2012/10/05/the-best-cash-back-card/)

Also consider that the Priceline VISA gives 5% back when you "name your own price" on Priceline. So if you use Priceline a lot, this is a good choice. Two other hidden benefits on this card are:
    1. It's a Barclay card ... so it doesn't eat up a Chase/Citi/AMEX "slot" in your app-o-rama.
    2. It's got a picture of the Shat on it. 'Nuff said. ;)
    Good question, really. I'd just come here to post another thread about US Bank, so this was good timing.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FIA Fidelity Amex? 2% cash back deposited in your Fidelity brokerage account. Downside: it's issued by FIA. Upsides: no annual fee. Amex's slightly more limited acceptance is not a problem for airline ticket purchases.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And while it's not CASH, you can get up to 10% back on travelocity purchases with the travelocity amex.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dont forget, for this week it might be the Chase Freedom with 5 UR for tickets directly from airlines (Q4 promo).

I'm considering getting several itineraries done to capitalize on this. Does anyone know whether larger taxes & fees on award tickets will trigger 5 UR?

8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no direct experience, but it should. It has with other cards.

DealsRock likes this.