Best Cards for next AoR for 5X Drugstore Purchases

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Traveling Momma, Apr 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the ability to load up on Vanilla Reloads and would love to maximize a card or two for 5 - 10 complimentary hotel nights. I believe Hilton has a card that's been discussed here on Milepoint but this is the only card I've seen, besides quarterly changing benefits, with certain Chase cards. What do other Milepointers believe are the best cards, either for hotel or airline points, for 5X miles at Drugstores these days? I can do $8,000/month at CVS.

Thanks,

Blue.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Amex will drop to 3X in drug stores (currently 6X)
    Club Carlson VISA is 5x on everything.

Personally, I think it's the wrong thing to focus on 5X. It makes for nice blog post headlines, but ultimately it doesn't matter what the factor is (1, 3, 5 or 100) if you don't consider what you multiply it with -- the value of the mile or point of the particular program.

Eg. 6x Hilton points with one Hilton point being valued at 0.4 cents equals 2.4 cents per dollar spend.
    I get 1.5 UA miles with the Club VISA. If I value my UA miles at 2 cents a piece, I get 3 cents per dollar.

Which one would you use for VRs then, 6x or 1.5x?

WhiteDesert, boondr, MX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hummmm, you have a point HaveMilesWillTravel. I'm going to reevaluate. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of points (and miles) actually ;)

Another thing to consider: is it wise to put all the CVS charges on one card? Different people will likely have different opinions on this. I tend to be a bit more on the cautious side.

brucewil and boondr like this.