Best Card for OneWorld Miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by wannabejetsetter, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. wannabejetsetter

wannabejetsetter New Member

Status Points:
    I want to start accruing OneWorld miles to eventually get one of their round-the-world passes. What is the best credit card to start with? Meeting the minimum spend shouldn't be a problem and I'm aware of some of the tricks of the trade. I'm open to suggestions for what to get for next credit cards later this year too. Thanks!

misterbwong, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 50K AA miles from Citibank!

misterbwong and uggboy like this.
  3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not 100% sure what you mean by the oneworld "round-the-world" passes but I'm going to take it to mean the AA explorer awards. I'm unaware of any oneworld pass that allows you to combine miles from different programs for one redemption.
    As Kalboz said, the 50k cards from citibank are probably the best signup bonuses for travel on oneworld.

You might also want to consider:
    40k Barclays US Air - double check that this is still active. US miles will eventually be converted to AA
    25k Barclays US Air Biz - ditto
    25k SPG (PM me if you need a referral :D) - This is probably a better card for everyday spend since it effectively gives you 1.25 mi/$ (20000 SPG -> 25000 AA) on all purchases. SPG 30k bonus comes up once or twice a year so if you can wait, you can get a better bonus.

boondr and Kalboz like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, AA miles is a good program to focus on as there are lots of opportunities for credit card bonuses. AA Plat VISA Personal can get you 50K. The CitiBusiness AA can get you another 50K. The Barclay US Air cards will get you another 50K. And you can churn the latter two every 90 days or so, at least at the moment some of the time. And you could always go for the CitiExecutive with the huge $450 fee that includes Admiral's Club Access and offers 75K miles right now and $100 credit. But it has a huge $7,500 in 3 months spend requirement as well, so be prepared for that. The obvious issue with the US Air cards is we don't know exactly when they'll be merging the programs, or at least allowing you to move miles between them. Depends when your travel plans are.

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My primary OneWorld card is the BA Chase Visa - 1.25 Avios per dollar are exceptionally valuable and don't have to be redeemed on BA. There's a 50k enrollment bonus but I was on last year's 100k bonus (and was offered another 9k to renew the card).

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best cards are to get the Citi AA cards and the AMEX SPG card. After reaching minimum spend on all cards, I'd focus spend on the AMEX SPG card due to their 5K bonus for every 20K you transfer. If you qualify for business cards then apply for the AA Biz cards and the SPG Biz card as well..

Even if you don't use it for AA transfers, SPG points are so valuable since they have so many other transfer partners like AS (EK and CX awards)

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA isn't the greatest for the OP if he wants to do a RTW itinerary. Avios is distance-based and they charge YQ on pretty much every airline other than AA.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I believe Avios is actually the worst for OW RTW awards since they also charge YQ on AA Transatlantic redemptions ( plus additional fees to the Caribbean although those are offset by the lower miles required )

The only real use for Avios is for short hop intra NA and intra Europe itineraries.