Best car rental program?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by pinkchicken212, Sep 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. pinkchicken212

pinkchicken212 Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am new to renting cars and car rental programs. I just got a new job that will require me to rent 4 days every week for business that will be paid by the company. What is the best car reward that I should get? Avis, national, hertz and etc...?

I want to get rewards to redeem for my personal travel.

Thank you

GoldenFlyer and vickers like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What else will you earn through work? Hotels, airlines? Would you value free car rentals, or rather have flights? Flying and renting at airports? Corporate contracts?You will ultimately value speed and convenience highly!

GoldenFlyer, satman40 and vickers like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    GoldenFlyer and satman40 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My program is the cheapest one, and never forget THE COMPANY is following your expense account.

We use miles even on business flights, and hotel rooms sometimes, and the company remembers.,

The company also gets special rates on all travel expense, many times the department does the booking when ask.

vickers and GoldenFlyer like this.
  5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome, newly minted road warrior! :)

If you can, read through your work documentation or call your travel department before picking any program. The company may have preferred companies to work with, or they may require you to use only one program. This goes for hotels and airlines as well.

Whatever documentation you have from travel should be read thoroughly, as those define the rules you play with. You may have to book everything yourself; other companies book everything for you. Where I work, there is some leeway in flights but in most cases they state where I put my head at night and if I'm renting a car. This is important, as companies can terminate you for not playing by the rules (especially with per diem).

All things being equal, and given my experiences, I've had excellent success with National and Avis. Hertz is not bad either, but a lot of companies tend to use Hertz and their cars have a little more use on them than other companies. National's elite program is generous even at "member" level, and they can do things like 1-2-free promos for free days, so it may be worth having just in case.

vickers, GoldenFlyer and satman40 like this.
  6. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You asked really a very hard question! but generally Hertz, National, Enterprise, EuRopcar and Sixt are the best all over the world, well you can win bonus miles on your FF Card and have advanced status each time you rent to get better status with you Car Rental Card!

BossWass and MoufidaLAA like this.
  7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My company likes us to use Budget. I have good luck with them and love fastbreak, no waiting just grab a car and go. Of course the awards program is non existent.

satman40 likes this.
  8. pinkchicken212

pinkchicken212 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone !! My company said use whatever and just as long as it's less than 100 per day, which I looked into everyone of the programs and it's less than 100 per day. :)

vickers and chrislacey like this.
  9. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    National is my favorite and Avis is a close second. Your company has a very flexible policy for rental cars :D That is awesome for you!

With renting so much, convenience would be what I based my decision on. National is great and most (but not all) locations have Emerald Aisle service so you can just walk up, pick a car and drive away. If that exists where you are renting I would definitely give them a shot.

10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    @pinkchicken212 will you be renting at one location weekly (in lieu of a company car or mileage reimbursement) or will you be flying weekly and picking up your car there?