Best BusinessElite® Seat on 747-400 (upper deck)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by baccarat_guy, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked AMS-DTW (as part of an EDI-AMS-DTW-CVG itinerary).

It's been a LONG time since I've chosen business class (BusinessElite®) seats on a 747-400 series.

So, what's the concensus on the best UPPER DECK BusinessElite® seat? Grabbed 77B (exit row), but it looks like everything is available.

2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    73AB are generally considered as good, if not better, than 77. Depends on whether you like looking at the distant bulkhead or a FA. I usually fly with my wife so 73A it is for me!

goodandclassy and baccarat_guy like this.
  3. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I was mistaken, only seats taken (or blocked) are 73AB and 73JK. Do they block those seats? or just a coincidence that these are the ONLY four seats occupied on the upper deck? FWIW, 72JK are available.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first row avoids the problem of trying to get up in tight space, but the disadvantage is that the window storage units are very narrow due to curvature of the fuselage. They barely hold a thin computer case, the shelf is correspondingly more narrow.

The exit row window seats lack the convenient side shelf and easy access to the window storage units without standing up. The emergency exit door and slide take the space next to the window seat, and the storage unit and shelf are located in front of the door. The slide seems to intrude into the space of the window seat. OTOH, the aisle exit row seats have lots of space and avoid the issues of it being hard to stand up in cramped quarters or needing to get up to let the person in the window seat get up. However, the aisle seats have absolutely no storage space within reach when seated unless you share your seat width with the object.

It can be tough to stand in line with luggage on the stairs when there's a traffic jam on arrival or before departure. The stairs are steep and narrow. Normal wheeled carryon suitcases don't fit easily into upper deck bins, which are smaller than those on the main deck. It can be easier to but the wheeled case into a bin downstairs if you don't need it during the flight and are comfortable about it being out of your sight for so many hours.

goodandclassy likes this.
  5. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, 73JK are pretty much ordinary. I do not like 72JK as they seem to be in a darka and close part of the cabin, as nothing is on the other side of the aisle (no seat, that is, just a room of some sort.

As MSPE observed, the 73A storage bin is indeed slightly smaller but not enough to override the other advantages.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree about the UD exit row window seats 77A and 77K. There is a storage bin by the seat, but it ends at the front edge of the seat... These are great seats with 77A > 77K because of the location of the FA jump seat. If you sit in these seats you can at least use the side bin as a "table" for your things. Row 77 aisle seats do not get the bin as a table.

Also seats 10AB on the lower deck are considered great because there are miles to the bulkhead, and you can be the first passengers off the plane.

I like row 1 seats because of the ease in getting up when your seatmate has the footrest extended.

For daytime flying, the commander seats 4 E/F can be very nice as they are isolated away from others and have excellent access into/out of the seat.

goodandclassy likes this.
  7. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, would you say that 77A would be a decent seat for a woman traveling alone on a daytime flight AMS-DTW?

secretsea18 likes this.
  8. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    73A or 77A/K for me, I have had good experiences in those seats. Slight edge to 73A

secretsea18 and baccarat_guy like this.
  9. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be me. I am in June going AMS-DTW and in 73AB :)

Look for my FLYERTALK bag tag to see if we are on the same flight!

10. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's for my SO; and August! Too bad!

MSPeconomist and secretsea18 like this.
  11. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... I sit in 77A when 73A is not available..

:) I am a single female traveler, too.

baccarat_guy and MSPeconomist like this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does the pax's gender factor into the suitability of the seat?

13. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In order to determine the suitable feng-shui of any situation; including where to sit on an upper deck of a 747, one must know the gender of the individual. :D

tahewett likes this.
  14. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be helpful knowing gender to help avoid a possible awkward seatmate situation on a long flight

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Maybe we better rush the milepoint bag tag just in case! You could be among the first to be a two bag-tagger.

16. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Randy! "Two Bagger" (sounds like) I am almost offended ;)! I will be happy to order those when you have them as well. You could give them out at INGY's OCT DO to spread the word about milepoint?

baccarat_guy likes this.
  17. No question about it... 73A. Storage box at your left hand, and plenty of leg room...enough to walk around, not climb over a fully stretched out 73B. A hint: Since the overheads upstairs are VERY small, leave your roll-on downstairs.

USAF_Pride and MSPeconomist like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

baccarat_guy likes this.