best award options for HNL-TOKYO and TOKYO-CHI-NY?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by pesos, Apr 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. pesos

pesos New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use our 87k AA miles and 245k SPG points for upcoming travel.

I'd like to get my wife and I from HNL to Tokyo on biz or first. Then I'll need to go Tokyo-ORD and on to NYC after 24 hours (or could do a little less) in Chicago. Is JAL still the best option for this? After a few days I'll return NYC-ORD for another 36 or so hours and then back home to HNL.

My wife and her mother will need to get back from Tokyo to HNL in biz/first.

Should I just piece together one-way AA awards, or is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks!!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you plan to convert all of your SPG points to airline miles or use them for hotel stays?

Are your dates flexible?

3. pesos

pesos New Member

Status Points:
    Dates have a bit of flexibility (just not the space inbetween flights). I will need hotel stays briefly in Tokyo and New York...

4. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't seem to have enough points to do all you want to do. If you could score Milage Saver Business class awards you'd need 50k miles per person each way. That's 300,000 miles and you haven't made it to NYC and back yet much less any hotel nights. You could transfer SPG points 1:1 into AAdvantage miles but id be loathe to do so. Looks like you may need to think about flying in coach or paying for the rooms out of pocket. And that's only if you can get awards on the dates you want. Good luck!