Best -- and Worst -- Tippers in the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/worlds-best-tippers/story?id=19320757#.Ua5aBPYo4dU

Americans have a reputation for being generous tippers when traveling abroad. Sometimes it's attributed to our culture of tipping, but just as often it's attributed to a lack of knowledge about local tipping practices.

And ask restaurant servers in the U.S. if they'd prefer a table of Americans or a table of Europeans in their sections, and far more often than not you'll find they prefer the Americans, simply because Europeans aren't known to tip well when traveling in the States.

Unless, apparently, they're German.

German?

A new survey of 9,000 people in eight countries revealed that Germans -- not Americans -- were the best tippers of the nations surveyed. Americans came in second.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/worlds-best-tippers/story?id=19320757#.Ua5aBPYo4dU

uggboy likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is indeed a surprise! I would have thought tipping would be a department in which Americans would be light-years ahead of the rest of world because, unlike in many EU and most Asian countries, tipping is an integral part of the US culture...

uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the impression that Germans are often more self-aware than others when traveling abroad. I was once on a LHR-BER flight full of Germans, and thought they were British until the plane landed on German soil, and they promptly switched to their native language. Perhaps tipping is a part of this effort to adapt. On the other hand, I've read about a different German demographic, who frequent all-inclusive resorts on the Mediterranean and behave badly. So one should always be careful not to stereotype. ;)

4. Jeroen

Jeroen New Member

Status Points:
    I think the Spanish are some of the worst tippers. First of all in their country they don't pay tips at all and they also don't feel the need to do it somewhere else.