Best and worst Starwood Properties for free night redemption

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by awardspy, Jun 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. awardspy

awardspy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Santander, Kalboz, seaflyguy and 5 others like this.
  2. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a really interesting analysis. Thanks for posting.

Did you also notice how the best values actually decrease in $/pt. as you move up the category levels?

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. awardspy

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm actually planning on writing a summary post, and also sharing the raw data (via a Google spreadsheet) from my analysis.

Kalboz and (deleted member) like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you put a lot of work into this but for me it personally it has limited value.
    1) But I am sure not many here pay the rack rate.
    2) Regular room rates vary with occupancy levels/demand
    3) I am not sure how one can compare best value versus poor value.... some properties
    have two or more tier redemption rate levels.
    4) Does many here actually decide on staying at a hotel based on
    seemingly "qualitative" comparisons like this?

dhammer53, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. awardspy

Status Points:
    newbluesea - luckily it wasn't too much work :) , and just a first stab at analytically making sense of Starwood properties, categories, and rates. It's great that I'm getting feedback on this survey from the community, because it was quickly apparent that I made some flawed assumptions. Hopefully I can release a more accurate/useful set of data in the near future.

As far as the value of a survey, I think that depends on who is consuming the data and conclusions. I certainly agree that it's not something that's going to be useful for everyone.

Kalboz, seaflyguy and uggboy like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very handy breakdown ... thank you for sharing. However, my redemption value at the St. Regis Bangkok was better than $0.05 per point: Astor Suite accommodations for 2 adults and 2 children for 5 nights for 48K SPG points. So I guess your analysis is averaged figures and one has to consider that YMMV! :)

uggboy likes this.
  8. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously this information has limited utility but I think it definitely paints a good general picture, judging by the value levels of properties I regularly stay at. Thanks for posting.
    I think the SPG Bangkok properties are generally excellent value for paid stays and poor value redemptions as far as standard room redemptions go. Actually I don't mind it that way at all because they're all such great hotels which can be had for great prices. :D (Thinking of my beloved Four Points right now...)

9. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't take two things into account, IMHO.

1) Aspirational value
    2) The fact that even the RACK rate is seasonal. (Meaning it can change on a seasonal basis)

10. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP took the average of the rack rates over one year so the highs and lows have theoretically been evened out. Of course, there are so many other factors which have not been accounted for as well, and even an annual average cannot take into account seasonal price changes completely.