Best and worst Business Seats on the A330-300

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by John Brundage, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. John Brundage

John Brundage Active Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts out there on what business seats to avoid and which ones are choice?

jetsetboy likes this.
  2. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you could clarify your question a little. Are you asking about which seats on a particular A333 to avoid, or which airline's A333 has the best seats, etc.? In general, you want to avoid recliner-style, as well as angled-flat biz seats.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As this is the Delta forum, presumably he is referring to delta A333s.

Bulkhead is probably the way to go, otherwise forward seats are further from the lav/galley.

4. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops. :oops: Clicked on the link from "Newly Created Posts" and didn't take note that this was the Delta forum. Sorry.

mattsteg likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't even count the times I've done the same.

Newly created posts is great for expanding your "sphere of participation" but does cause occasional confusion.

To elaborate on the previous post now that I'm not on my mobile, The angled-flat seats on the DL A330s are pretty decent for what they are, and better than much of what is offered by the TATL skyteam partners. The cushion is a bit too firm for my taste, but they're roomy, legroom/footroom is a complete non-issue (unlike some other skyteam equivalents), and they are some of the more adjustable angled-flat seats out there. Better than KLM, and probably a matter of taste vs air france (better adjustability, more leg/foot room than some AF equipment, but the firmness of the AF cushions is more appropriate imo. I'd go with the DL seat I think.) I haven't done the 333, only the 332 (which I flew a week and a half ago, so is pretty fresh in my mind), so all of this is from that perspective, but the seats and pitch are the same so it should be applicable. I'd say the worse seats would be those at the back of the cabin near the galley/lav in the 333, or the second mini-cabin in the 332.

jetsetboy likes this.
  6. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is Delta replacing their angled seats with flat seats?

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the plan was to have 100% flat bed seating with direct aisle access for all seats on all Delta widebodies by next year. I think the A330s may slip, or at the very least be ready late in the year. Other than the A330s, all other types have mods either complete or in-progress.

jetsetboy likes this.
  8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see any way the A330s are done even late 2013. 744s are due out by autumn, but the 763 fleet seems to be progressing rather slowly (and it's rather large). I'd expect to see A330s replacing 763s to up the pace on the 763s until they're mostly done. Wouldn't surprise me if it were autumn 2013 before the first A330 goes in for mods. At the risk of being deported to a.nut, I have to say that it will be interesting to see which seat is chosen for the A330s. CX and US are using seats very similar to DL's new 744 seats on their A330s, but LX seems to be using a seat similar to the DL 764 seats but done in a 2-2-1/1-2-1 configuration that takes advantage of the extra ~0.5m of interior width that the A330 has over the 767.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with that assessment - 2013 is not realistic.

On the seat side, my recollection was that the guess was something like the 744 seat, but we will see what happens. The 763s and 744s are certainly higher priority to update.

Does the LX config give direct aisle access? If not I cannot see Delta using it.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, with the exception of the window seats in odd numbered rows on the "port" side.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 2-2-1 rows without 100% direct aisle access may rule out that configuration for Delta. Their marketing message has had a strong focus on providing direct aisle access for all widebody business class products.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. It is only on one side of the plane, and only affects rows 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. If you are flying with someone you know it is fine to use these seats. When flying alone, just choose the star side of the plane, the centre, or rows 4,6,...14.

13. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a huge number of seats impacted, but it still does muddle the marketing message. With AA moving to the Cirrus (CX, US, DL 74S) seat as well, it seems that it would be wise for DL to be able to use the "Direct aisle access from every seat in BusinessElite" marketing push. Even more so given the hodgepodge of seats that UA has. It looks like if DL can't beat UA to having flat beds on all trans-Oceanic aircraft, they'd better be able to claim the direct aisle access thing.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the topic of BE seats on DL A330s: The left and right window and aisle sections in the bulkhead have lots of legroom. Some people prefer the second minicabin.

It's a very nice plane with good AVOD, large screens compared to the horrid 767-300s pre-reconfiguration. They generally appear new and fresh.

15. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK thanks. Hopefully they're standardizing on the ones used in the 77L. That's a really good seat.

16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 777 seats seem destined to only be used on the 777s. Reports on the new 747 seats are that they're even better, as they've reversed the herringbone so that the window seats *gasp* face the window and the seats in the middle face each other, making it possible for couples to actually travel together and visit. Given that US and CX are using basically the same seats in their A330s, I suspect DL will go with them if they can get the capacity set up like they want.

jetsetboy likes this.
  17. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, well if they're better that's going to be a big win for DL. I'm now curious and anxious to try the new seat. I'll have to look for a trip report.

18. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're willing to venture over to TOBB, there's a 747-400 tracking thread in which nypdLieu posted a lot of shots and his glowing review of the seat. I'm seriously considering doing some equipment hunting on my next international award redemption (will be for after all the 747s are done) so that I can try out the new seats. As far as I know, DL is the only carrier putting these seats on the UD of 747s, and I like the idea of 1-1 seating with only 15 seats on the UD :D

jetsetboy likes this.
  19. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the report on FT. I have to be honest and say that I'm not counting on it being THAT much better than the 77L seat (so that I'm not disappointed;)), but I'm anxious to find out. Would be a pleasant surprise. :)

mtkeller likes this.
  20. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some input on this one. I talked to DELTA and was told the upgrades will not ALL be done unitl 2014. The 330's will be last and you can see the progress at Delta.com here:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/products/progress.jsp

As to seats, here is a current picture of the seats and I like row 1 when awake as no one reclines into you as the space gets very tight when they do but you do loose under seat storage for your shoes etc but I have found overhead space to be open most of the time for all my needs.

If you want food choice first most of the time A&B get asked first so keep that in mind if that matters as they do run out (of 1st choice) many times!

[​IMG]