Best Amtrak redemptions?

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by jamesb2147, Sep 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured out how to squeeze 17% returns out of my travel in the next couple of months but taking advantage of the current promos (I'll be getting 6 points per dollar) and choosing my awards judiciously.

I can get 2.95 cents of value out of each point on trips from Chicago to LA. How much better can we do? Am I massively undervaluing my points with that redemption?

Specific details on my earning and redemption calculations here:
    http://farfromgold.blogspot.com/2012/09/striking-gold.html

2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the best deal is with the "special routes" which are now 1,500 o/w. I redeemed before the increase and got a $72 rt ticket for 2,000 points (3.4 cents per point).

3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not visited the blog in the original post but second the concept of the Amtrak Special Routes awards - these got me from SEA (cheap airfare) to YVR for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    In your blog, you ask whether a second passenger in a roomette, or bedroom, costs additional redemption points. The answer is no. Not only that, but both passengers get free meals. Not only that, but the rewards aren't capacity-controlled. If just one room remains in inventory, usually at a very high cash price, it's yours for the standard number of redemption points.

Accordingly, I consider sleeping car redemptions to be a hugely lucrative deal, especially if two passengers are traveling.

jwsky likes this.
  5. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the Amtrak Thruway connection on a special route you can go pretty far. I did a few LA-Bay Area trips via the Central Valley route this way. Yes, the scenery is boring but there is free wi-fi on the train.