Best Amex card to start

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by joykid, Feb 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I never applied for AMEX credit card (except you count BlueBird as credit card) and would like to apply one. What is the current best offer and the best card for Amex card right now?
    I heard SPG card is very good, but which one, personal or business? Also I heard Hilton Honors card is very good too with free weekend nights and Gold status……..so I am really confused which one is better.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

gregm likes this.
  2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can apply for both business and personal. You can apply for SPG, Hilton, Platinum, etc - all of them if you wish. Which is the better one really depends on the programs you are participating in or going to participate. For best deals check this link: LINK

joykid likes this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta also has a few Amex cards with great benefits.

joykid likes this.
  4. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most all of the cards have great benefits--it just depends how you value them. Look at your travel or sspending habits and go from there. If you stay at Hilton Hotels often then a Hilton Amex may be for you. If you stay at Starwood hotels then a SPG card is a good choice. If you fly Delta often look into one of the Delta cards. If you are not tied to any particular airline or hotel then maybe the PRG or Blue Sky.

I value Starpoints more than any other simply because they can transfer to many different airlines 1:1 and redeeming them at Starwood hotels is a great value.

I also have a family and commute to work so I have the BCP to get higher cash back at gas stations and grocery stores.

So I have a Platinum, SPG and BCP cards.

Good luck!

joykid likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG will give you 25k for 20 in AA,

Depend on what is good for you.

Amex is also good for churns, can not Chase forever.

joykid likes this.
  6. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot for your help. What are BCP? please bear with me as I am still new and not familiar with some abbreviations yet. And what is the "Platinum"? is that Mercedes Benz Platinum? if so, the hefty annual fee of $450 is too much for me...
    I plan to travel to Aruba and Paris next year, so I would love to apply for hotel cards that give the best hotel perks. Since I haven't been to Aruba or Europe before, I don't know which hotel has branches and best value in there. If you or somebody here in milepoint has ever been to Aruba and Paris, would you please let me know. I am thinking of SPG or Hyatt or Hilton....still confusing which one is the good one to use for Aruba and Europe.

7. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Can Amex Delta be transferred to hotel partner, if so what is the ratio? is it good?

gregm likes this.
  8. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Can we really churns Amex? what is the rule? (like Citi is 2 cards every 65 days, etc)... but I also heard horror story about Amex dreaded financial review that make me worry....

9. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    bcp=blue cash preferred.
    Platinum has different versions.
    Regular, Mercedes-Benz, and business version

10. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    With Amex, you can get a new bonus for opening a card only after you had not had that card for a full year.

foxberg likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never transfer miles so I wouldn't be the one to ask. Sorry! :(

12. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would only get the delta card for the benefits that it gives (priority boarding, free luggage). I would use other cards for actual spending.

gregm and foxberg like this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we any other points to miles or reverse conversions it makes very little sense.

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you young? Just building your credit rating? Then think about a card you'll keep for the long haul and won't cancel. Maybe that's a card with no annual fee. Maybe its a card like the SPG that you simply won't cancel/churn. It'll help your credit rating if this applies to you.