Best airline for bereavement fares

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Scottrick, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My grandmother just passed away tonight (99... at least we think) and I'll have to fly SEA-SFO in the next week or so. I'll probably burn some UA miles for an award ticket, but on the off chance that I can avoid that on such a short hop, are there any airlines that have particularly good policies for bereavement fares? UA is only 10% off on a last-minute ticket, which is probably still going to be rather expensive. I'm not expecting 50% off, but if there's another airline like AS or WN that does better, I'd like to know. Any advice?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK you need to call the individual airlines to check bereavement fares. Submission of a copy of the death certificate or perhaps a funeral home obituary and notice is normally required.

However, you want the cheapest fare that suits your needs (flexible return if you will need to help clean out her home and sort possessions, etc.? or nonstop at a certain time if time is tight when you must be there?), which isn't necessarily a bereavement fare. Also, the special bereavement and family emergency fares (which usually are valid also for a sudden serious illness in the family) are considered unpublished and might not earn FF miles or other benefits such as upgrades.

Compare this to using miles (including taxes and surcharges as well as any late ticketing fees that will apply to you, although you might be able to convince an agent to waive these charges in the circumstances), using whatever valuation you think is reasonable for your miles.

I'm sorry about your grandmother and hope you have as nice a trip as possible under the circumstances.