best airline and FF program for SAN-SIN flights

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rhover, Jul 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rhover

rhover Member

Status Points:
    My son is now enrolled at National University of Singapore so for the next 4 years, he'll be flying to/from our home base of San Diego (~8800 miles) perhaps 2 roundtrips/year. Is there a recommended airline and FF program for him (and us, since we may try to visit once a year)? Is it better to do LAX-SIN since LAX is about a 2hr drive away?

After college, he has a high likelihood of working in Southeast Asia for a few years too, but I guess that far down the line, FF programs may change quite a bit.

Also, the school has arranged one roundtrip to the northeast US on Emirates - is it possible to tie that in with a recommended FF program? I see Emirates is not part of the 3 large airline alliances.

marcwint55 and 8MiHi like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Emirates has its own mini alliance which includes Alaska and Jet Blue. Any SIN-SAN flights on Emirates would have to include an inter-airline connection and may fly through Dubai (depending on where you connect). With a 20K trip already on his agenda, the Emirate plan is worth getting information on, but the SIN-SAN trips will be adventures.
    Singapore Airlines is part of Star Alliance which includes United and Lufthansa. They fly from LAX directly to SIN. This appears to be a good program to consider. KrisFlyer is their program and it has only Silver (at 25K) and Gold (at 50K). Gold gets you into the Star Alliance lounges and extra luggage allowances.
    I am not well schooled in the OneWorld and SkyTeam programs, I am sure others here can chip in with their knowledge.

rhover and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Singapore Air has announced that they will be discontinuing direct flights from LAX to SIN. I think you may as well fly from SAN with a connection rather than driving all the way to LAX. Most likely they will book you from SAN to SFO on Virgin and the rest on Singapore.

rhover and 8MiHi like this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do decide to go SQ route, be aware that not all flights earn mileage. I believe those are the flexi-savers. Just check that they do earn. I personally don't like KF program because of expiration of miles, limited (no) earning potential on some of their own flights and such. The good thing is that they do offer more award availability to their own members which is the Mai. Reason out friends who moved back stayed with them instead of UA's MP program. NUS is a tough school. Congrats on your son getting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8MiHi, marcwint55 and rhover like this.
  5. rhover

rhover Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I hadn't heard that SQ was making that change.

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  6. rhover

rhover Member

Status Points:

Ah - and that's VERY important too! Thanks so much for the tip!

Our son was very eager to be on his own for college - he really got his wish! Of course, now that he's there, we want to visit all the surrounding areas!

I wonder if any of you are familiar with STA Travel? Supposedly discount fares for students, but we tried it for our son's flight, and it didn't really give much of a savings. I wonder if the STA fares are sometimes blocked from earning FF mileage?

8MiHi, marcwint55 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely remember it but I would venture there is limited earnings and/or it is for carriers that you don't want and in less than comfortable Y seats. I could be wrong though.

We personally fly from NYC to SIN and our carriers of choice in order is NH, CX, SQ, OZ and I would imagine BR (just off of reputation). We just prefer the Asian carriers and somewhat quick transits in places (Asia) we don't mind being, SQ notwithstanding as they fly through FRA.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8MiHi, rhover and marcwint55 like this.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the easiest route would probably be SAN-NRT-SIN on the new SAN-NRT flight by JAL...

8MiHi and rhover like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At that point you're making 2 connections anyways - SFO and ICN or HKG - so lots more options become available.

The SAN-NRT-SIN option is the only single connect routing from SAN. If you head up to LAX many more single connect options become available, including Korean, Asiana, Delta, ANA, JAL and United via Tokyo and Eva via TPE. Crossing the Atlantic will take a lot longer (~30% further to fly at best) but it opens up single connect options on Air France, British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, Turkish, Emirates and likely several others.

Once you get in to double connections the options are quite vast.

Flying the return trip 2x annually puts you over the threshold for earning elite status in most programs, assuming the fares qualify. But you aren't going to be at the higher status levels where the benefits really start to add up. I'd stay focused on fares more than anything at this point.

10. rhover

rhover Member

Status Points:

That's true - single connections are much better (as I almost missed a double connection just last week!).

It looks like JAL might be a good choice since we could fly from SAN or LAX depending on the cost and schedules. Plus JAL is a partner of Emirates so maybe we can count that flight for JAL miles.

8MiHi likes this.