Best Air Partner to earn miles for Delta flights?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by cheryld, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Here is the background. Daughter is flying Delta (booked by her school) from STL to HKG via Detroit(yes I agree - strange). Our home airport is ORD - they couldn't fly through here!!! Anyway, while I have her accumulating miles on AA and UA programs - these Delta miles would be orphans. So I was looking at options for which Delta partner airline might be best for her to earn miles for these flights. Since it will be a total of about 16,000 miles, the only one that looked possible for future use would be Hawaiian Airlines for some inter-island flights. Although, keeping these miles live until we use them might be a bit tough.
    Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines comes to mind immediately. You can also earn Alaska miles on AA, which would let her top up the account before redeeming an award.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also thought Alaska immediatley.

However, it's not strange to travel to HKG through DTW, which is an international gateway for DL and well positioned for routes to Asia. DL runs a daily nonstop DTW-HKG and vv at convenient times using their wonderful new 777-LR aircraft. Moreover, these flights frequently are not full, so booking a school group this way could be a good deal.

4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also make sure the ticket earns full mileage. I don't know if DL maintains this practice, but a few years ago NW was selling special fares for students which only earned 500 miles per segment, even on transpacs. These were still amazing deals -- e.g. $500 one-way RDU-NRT in mid-summer -- but the miles might as well be thrown away.

5. You don't need to keep them alive, DL Sky Miles don't expire now.

ryandc99 likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, if the ticket doesn't use a published fare, then there could even be no miles at all earned.

7. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Thanks for all the replies! The ticket is class L and was $1400 r/t - so I would l expect to earn miles. Great to hear the 777-LR is a nice plane - I will pass that along to her. So if she earns Alaska miles - then she has to put her Alaska info for future AA flights until she earns enough for a free ticket? Not sure she would fly enough to keep those alive at this point. How easy is it to redeem Delta miles on Hawaiian flights?

Thanks again!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since L is considered a deep-discount fare, but sure that you get 100% in whatever program you decide to use. DL of course would give 100% credit, but other programs might not, so you need to check the rules in advance.

alpinesoccer likes this.