Best Admirals Club in the System

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mowogo, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As there is a thread discussing the worst Admirals Club, I figured it would make sense for us to talk about some of our favorite clubs. So without further delay, what is your favorite Admirals Club?

zpaul likes this.
  2. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The old HNL.

3. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dare I say CDG? :D
    In all fairness, I haven't been there since BA moved to T2A and started using the club, so I never exerienced the crowds at the club implied in the other thread. I found it quite pleasant when I flew there regularly in the early 00's and didn't find it much different a few years ago.

While I may visit some clubs frequently, I don't make it to that many. I will say that the staff at DEN is second to none.

zpaul likes this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestically I'm partial to the DEN club, though truthfully I enjoy the LAX location, too. The AAngels in DEN have always gone far beyond my expectations. I commented to them once about the positioning of one of the halogen lights making the seating area very warm and when I was in the next day it had been changed. I like that the bar area is a bit separate, and there are tons of electrical outlets. The snack selection tends to be better than I have found in other domestic clubs (meaning that everything stays well-stocked and fresh, not just the snack mix).

The only drawback is that I don't care for the seating area in the back which has no windows, but I have never had to sit there.

Internationally, I only have experience with the South American locations and I find that overall I enjoy the SCL club. I like the colors and decor - it's not the new blah beige of so many other locations, and there is a shower/bath room that is very, very well done...dare I say elegant? (The others are alright, but the combo shower/bath is way better!) Everything else gets a solid "meets expectations," but the brass/leather/wood decor puts it up as my favorite.

Drawback here is that the daytime staff can be very aloof. In the evenings when most AA flights are leaving there is a marked difference.

Skye1 likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No competition..not even close.. NRT by a city block.:)

Skye1, TheBeerHunter and zpaul like this.
  6. freqtrvlr

freqtrvlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    My home club at SFO is fantastic, but I may(!) be a little biased. My other favorite domestic club is at MCI. The staff are incredibly helpful and very proactive when irregular ops happen.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too vote for SFO, I love the staff there, all really lovely. The old club was always very overcrowded, but the new space is fantastic, light and airy.

I loved SJC when it was around (RIP), because it was always so quiet (and perhaps why it is RIP).

I also like the DFW D club.

8. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Old - Old HNL that was at the garden level, or the Old HNL that was shared with QF?

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same question here - the post-er couldn't have meant the QF facility halfway to Australia, certainly????

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not been to DEN in years so best not offer an opinion. As for LAX, beautiful facility but whether it is just my luck or not, I have not found the "AAngels" to be particularly gracious. . . .

zpaul likes this.
  11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had to interact with them, but the LAX bartenders have always taken great care of me! ;)

Try to check out DEN sometime - it's probably a whole new facility (literally) than what you remember.

12. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The shared QF lounge. I know people complain about the walk and the smaller size, but I liked that. It was nice to stretch my legs and grab a shower after a flight from DFW or ORD, and the angels are my favorite in the syatem.

DestinationDavid and zpaul like this.
  13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily, at least two of those AAngels, Armie and the blonde lady ("Dianne?") kept their jobs, now are at the shared JL facility, and as glowing and helpful as always. I just never wanted to walk all the way down there, particularly after coming in from Dallas or Chicago, just to get a shower when I would be in a hotel room in 45 minutes anyway. Different preferences, I guess. But I agree with you about the AA personnel.

zpaul likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My favorite domestic AC, too.

Internationally I love NRT. Why can't they all be like that one? :)

John777, zpaul and JNB280 like this.
  15. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never stay on Oahu, so a shower before my connecting flight is not just good for me, but my seatmate as well.;)

John777, zpaul and kansaskeith like this.
  16. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    AUS. The AAngels are AAwesome (tgk) there.

zpaul, Titans26 and Skye1 like this.
  17. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Years ago, when AA did an impressive bonus miles promo ( when AA was allowed to fly in/out of Love Field)...a MASSIVE bonus for every 3 flights to/thru/from DFW and/or DAL IIRC.... The AUS agents "got it" that flyers were doing quick turnarounds in Austin (from Dallas), so they had tables set up near the front of the club laid out with a spread of pre-iced, pre-poured drinks, and pre-"poured" cups of snack mix, setting up the place like a "pitstop" for people. Staff were ready at the desk to direct people through there, and ready to direct people back to the practically immediately departing aircraft, some even cheering, "Go, go!". The atmosphere was unforgettabley fun.

Sagy, zpaul, SpecialK and 1 other person like this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    NRT by that, and few miles, fathoms, light years....
    Truly the best overall in the system.

zpaul likes this.
  19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a facility standpoint, the best showers in the A/C system are, hands down, (or hands on!) the "personal car wash"es of the DFW A club. Something cool about pulling that lever, hearing the metal "cha-ching" sound, and the heavens descend in rain. The heated towel racks are nice touch as well. It's also great that the DFW A club has a mini-gym--great for quick, cardio workouts before/after long-hauls. The DFW A club also has the old Flagship/Arrivals lounge area that few still seem to know of, yet is a wonderfully quiet oasis when peace/quiet for work/rest is needed.

dmel and zpaul like this.
  20. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd vote for IAD and DCA. Outstanding staff, great (new) facilities.....
    NRT may be best, but the DC facilities are great.

zpaul, DCtrAAveler and John777 like this.
  21. aamilesslave
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA is permitted to fly out of Love Field but have worked a deal to not operate there until the terminal reconstruction is complete. There's no way they want to lose their gates there so they can operate there when they Wright Amendment is fully lifted...especially since they helped draft the deal with WN and the City of Dallas to limit the number of gates available at DAL after the reconstruction.

zpaul and Skye1 like this.
  22. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Too true. I posted the comment re: Love as a time frame for the AUS Pitsop :). That mileage promo via DFW/DAL that AA ran then was fantastic. I think the bonus was actually 30k (not EQM( for every 3 flights to/from/thru either, or some ridiculously generous amount like that.

23. aamilesslave
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Randy Petersen and Richard Quest did some of these runs for CNN Business Traveller:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48b7W88a0M

24. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO is pretty sweet as well as ORD G because they both have fountains for soda

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was a great one. It also included SNA and MCI and I believe a couple other cities.
    At one stage the DFW/AUS leg was selling for $47 and one could do about 8 legs per day.
    AA members were permitted to earn I believe a maximum of three of the 30k bonuses.

Skye1 likes this.