Best *A program to start out with -- newbie question

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by whkento, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend who is a member of Delta's Sky Miles program, but is going to be traveling a bit with Air China soon. He doesn't have any membership with any *A program. I don't think he anticipates traveling in China, or even Asia, much after his upcoming trip. He's based in Tampa, FL.

So, with which FF program should he sign up to accumulate those miles? (It won't be enough for status achievement, but maybe useful in other ways.)

TIA,

Kento

JALPak likes this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fare class if your friend flying?

If it's Economy and YBMHK, they'd earn 100% on Aegean, 200% if in Business, 300% if in First. It takes only 19,000 miles to reach Star Gold, which is useful for baggage and lounge access if they have travel on UA, US, or Y travel abroad on *A.

If not, I'd say UA or US. UA miles can be supplemented with Chase UR points and they have a decent mileage program. US can be supplemented with SPG points and they have some gems.

It really matters on what they want to do with the miles.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is he forced to fly Air China? Some of the other mainland carriers like China Southern (SkyTeam) are much better.

I agree with the Aegean suggestion. I would avoid US or UA unless he could be elite enough to benefit from free domestic upgrades. Asiana might be worth considering.

4. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure it's economy, but not sure of the booking class (I doubt he knows, either). Thanks for pointing out the Chase UR and SPG ideas.

Yes, he has no choice of carrier. While he's lived in Asia for a few years, he is unfamiliar with how to work the FF plans. I'm just trying to help him optimize an unchangeable situation. ;)

I'll look into Aegean, UA and US. Any more ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions. That's the kind of wisdom I was hoping to receive. :)

Kento

JALPak likes this.