Benefits of a Kindle While Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by cmj542, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note: I submitted this to Frugal travel guy for a Friday tip...and it wasn't chosen. But I thought I'd share!

A Kindle 3G is amazing for travel – for more than just reading. For example, I’m going on a trip to a couple countries in about two months, but I don’t want to have to lug around tons of papers and guidebooks, etc, and I want to keep in touch with family. With a Kindle 3G + wifi, I get unlimited 3G internationally (check countries here:http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html) – for no additional charge. For a one-time fee of $189 for the kindle ($139 for Kindle w/ ads), I pretty much get unlimited international 3g and Wifi for however long I own the Kindle. Not only can I download and read books books – the Kindle has an experimental browser where you can load almost any website. I can check and respond email, go to various websites, etc. for free. Beats finding an internet cafe or paying high fees for hotel internet.

In addition, you can set up your cell phone to forward to Google Voice and check Google Voice via your Kindle internet browser. With Google voice, you can get the text transcripts of any voicemail sent to you. And you can have people text you at your Google Voice number and text back from Google voice. So, you can keep track of your calls and texts without incurring any crazy international fees.

Another benefit of the Kindle is that you can load it with PDFs. Rather than carry around a bunch of guidebooks, I can either buy the ones from the Kindle site or I can load the PDF versions . For example, Lonely Planet is one guidebook company that sells PDF versions of their guidebook (http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/). You can either buy one chapter at a time ($4.95 per digital chapter) or the entire book. You can also load PDFs of maps/public transportation system guides. It’s a lot more discreet than holding open a map in public.

On a last note, I have the Kindle 3g/wifi w/ ads, which is a steal at $139. The ads are actually super non-intrusive. The only time you ever see the ad is on the home page (super small, barely notice it) and as a screensaver. The ads are actually fantastic deals. Today the ads that popped up for me were a $10 Amazon credit if I bought one of the selected titles w/ a Visa Card (bought Tina Fey's Bossypants for $13) and $10 off a $20 Kindle accessory. Not too shabby!

2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this idea! Thanks!

travlr and jbcarioca like this.
  3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my kindle 3g which I got specifically because I was doing a lot of international travel this year. It's worked on the beach in Aruba, in Japan, Portugal, Switzerland and Milan without a hitch! The other great thing is being able to chat with MPer's while I'm on the train going to the airport. I don't have a smartphone so this is a wonderful free alternative to stay in touch!! Battery life is phenomenal too.

travlr, sveta, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  4. sveta
    Original Member

sveta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally loved having Kindle 3G when traveling to France. Bought one of the Kindle's guidebooks for $1.99. wasn't the best guidebook ever, but it was nice to be able to stop at any histrocal location of Paris and read about it's significance by doing a keyword search.
    Wasn't too thrilled about the browser. It was slow and not easy to navigate with the existing pointer. I was also getting kicked off from Google mail every minute for some strange reason. Maybe that's why they call the browser "experimental".
    But overall, its was great to have it. Much easier to carry around than a laptop!

5. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    or, you can just receive a text message on your phone assuming your have a texting plan, incoming is usually taken out of your bucket and not charged

travlr, sveta and jbcarioca like this.
  6. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Kindle is probably my favorite invention since the iPod. I have the DX so it's not quite as portable as some of the other models, but still much lighter than the reading material I used to travel with. The battery life is great, especially when 3G is turned off. It's also nice to be able to increase the font size depending on how my eyes are feeling. Technically is does have somewhat of an on/off switch so most flight attendants will want you to turn it off for take-off and landing (but I suppose if you were so inclined you could act like you were reading Sky Mall with the Kindle inside).

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without my DX I would feel naked. I carry all my pdf's and reference books as well as a copious supply of guidebooks and junk reading. Sometime soon I'll probably get a new one. This one I bought the week the DX was introduced and I have used it 20 hr/wk or so ever since. I use my iPad and laptop for browsing, and download Kindle books to the laptop, then transfer by usb because it is faster and easier and gives me a local backup in case I delete by mistake. I do that sometimes.

travlr, druiddation and sveta like this.
  8. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, ha. I made a post about this on my new blog. I didn't think about using Google Voice with it though. I took a bunch of screenshots for the tech impaired on how to access gmail through the browser. It was a huge pain trying to get the screenshots.. took like 2 hours of fiddling and bashing my head to get everything.

I still have the old second gen Kindle. I've been eyeing the newer black version. I might wait til they release a new version.

druiddation likes this.
  9. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. I just got a 3G one this week and have been trying to think of ways to take advantage of it internationally.

10. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    How fast are the latest Kindles for doing more than the usual reading? I have a second generation Kindle but I find web browsing and flipping through PDFs quite a pain. The international web browsing feature's a dear, otherwise I fall back to my iPad for travel guides, maps and other stuff.

11. sveta
    Original Member

sveta Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Gmail is working much better now, it's not refreshing every minute, and I'm not getting kicked off. I'm loving it!

Concerto, Mrs. Gargoyle and Gargoyle like this.