Benefit to booking a codeshare?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jasher926, Dec 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the difference between booking a one-way from DFW-DXB (stopover in LHR) with two segments that are AA-BA or AA-AA*(BA)?

They are the exact same flights and either way I believe I get the same amount of miles in my AAdvantage account. Right now the fares are about the same, so I'm just wondering if it matters which one. I'm going to upgrade the first segment with a SWU, but for the second segment I am probably SOL for any kind of upgrade.

jbcarioca and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need to change or get any other issues, then an AA-coded flight can be discussed with AA customer service.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and LookingAhead like this.
  3. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, your SWU will not upgrade you on any airplanes other than American - regardless of flight number. If LHR-DXB is on a BA aircraft (even with AA codeshare), no upgrade. I second always getting a codeshare flight. That way AA can deal with the whole thing in case of a problem. Otherwise you are a nobody on another airline.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the OP is aware of that, his post states he will use the SWU to upgrade the first segment (DFW-LHR), but is SOL on the second segment (LHR-DXB on BA).

That being said it's not entirely impossible to upgrade the BA segment, just difficult. You cannot use your AA SWU to do it, but depending on your fare class and how you booked the ticket, you can use miles: LINK.

jbcarioca, sobore and jasher926 like this.
  5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes the difference is the amount of fuel fines (which tend to be higher on BA coded flights). Also, I believe that if booking in a deep-discount fare class, you may earn more AA miles as an AA code.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Earning of miles on BA is the same as on AA, no deep discount issues, 100% accrual. LINK.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification; I'm pretty sure this isn't true for all airlines, although the OP was specifically asking about BA.

I just checked the CX one at random and it lists several fare classes where you earn no miles.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, it varies by airline, hence the individual pages for each partner. CX, QF, and JL are among the most dangerous to book without an AA code.

It's not much of a secret though, most serious AA flyers involved in the forums are aware that some airlines provide a reduced or no miles when booked without an AA code.

jbcarioca, jasher926 and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I avoid booking codeshares when possible. If something goes wrong, you need to go to the airline you bought the ticket from, rather than the airline operating the flight. That's just one more opportunity for something to go wrong.

jbcarioca and flyforawg like this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I never thought it was a secret or even little-known, I just figured it was worth mentioning when someone asks about booking a codeshare, that's all.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am the same way, but there are some times when it may be worth the possible grief.

(These comments are based on Star Alliance experience, rather than Oneworld.)

Codeshares, booked on Orbitz or wherever, can be significantly cheaper - a few years back booked a $250 or so rt ORD-LHR, as a codeshare - all UA metal, on a BMI ticket, iirc. This spring, got a $400 rt MSY-phl-MAD, booked as a Spanair codeshare, all on US metal.

Probably got low fares because the codeshare dropped the fuel surcharge. None involved an intentional fuel dump (where, e.g., you add a segment, say iah-Canada, that you "miss").

Frequently there are modest savings booking UA flights on US' www site.

In general, it's best avoided - unless the savings are significant.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're AA Elite flying on BA you'll have no help, even in F, from BA IME. If you're on the same flight with an AA code AA will move heaven and earth to help you. I have learned that lessen from hard experience. I have not had equivalent difficulty with Qantas nor Cathay. I've had no comparable flights with JAL so cannot judge.

LookingAhead likes this.
  13. SFOJFK

SFOJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Ran into a problem with upgrading BA segment. If you want to use AA miles to upgrade a BA flight, the BA flight must be the longest leg of the connections to the final destination. Had a BA B fare TLV-LHR and AA B LHR-JFK. They won't let me upgrade BA since TLV-LHR is around 2200 miles and JFK-LHR is around 3440 miles.

Another problem with booking BA and trying to upgrade BA on AA miles is that they require the ticket to be on AA stock. Had first segment with BA which caused entire ticket to be on BA stock. Funny thing is that I could still upgrade my AA JFK-LHR using SWU even though it was on BA stock.

Just wish they could make things easier since we're using JV Partners. On this same ticket, I have a full BA Y BRU-LHR-TLV and they won't let me upgrade it at all since I don't have any AA segments to get to this final destination.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost anything you try to do with BA will not work. The solution is to use AA stock, book codeshares if possible and try to have AA deal with BA. Even as the BA highest elite I have had better treatment as an AA customer than as BA directly. Otehr may have had better experience. I hope so.

Aktchi likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This I've never heard of and is new to me, and directly contradicts AA's published materials on the subject. I'm not 100% sure this is accurate, but my experience is limited with using miles to upgrade BA/IB metal is limited. As is most people's.

This is addressed on AA's info page about using miles to upgrade BA flights, so not surprising at all.

anabolism and jbcarioca like this.
  16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this an RTW or other special type of ticket?

Since you were trying to upgrade the BA flight with AA miles, I assume you were going through AA for this? And AA told you that the BA segment could only be upgraded if it was the longest flight? Did you try calling back and trying a different agent?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA told you that you couldn't upgrade a BA flight unless the ticket included an AA flight?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. SFOJFK

SFOJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't a RTW. Called back several times. It was a BA ticket Leaving from JFK with BA and AA segments. Talked to several EXP agents that had same message.

Every EXP agent told me that I could not upgrade a BA ticket unless there was an AA segment on that itinerary.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. SFOJFK

SFOJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Funny thing is for me out of JFK, most flights to Europe are cheaper on BA. My corp booking engine will book the ticket with the carrier operating the first flight which is BA most of the time. OW partners really need to fix the upgrade schemes for everyone. Like I said, I have never had problems upgrading AA flights on BA tickets with SWUs. AA needs to work out its issues with upgrades when it's not on its stock or no AA segments involved.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So when you say it was a BA ticket, you mean it was booked through BA?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarifications. Sorry to hear this. It's sad when unpublished rules pop up like this. If this indeed a rule, it should be listed on the Partner Upgrade Award page.

EDITED TO ADD: Subsequently did see the restriction on the published page, so this rule is not unpublished (see below posts).

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. SFOJFK

SFOJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Booked through my corp travel agent. First flight determines whose stock the ticket gets issued on.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was about to say to upgrade BA flights the tickets had to be purchased directly from AA, but that no longer appears to be the case.

anabolism and jbcarioca like this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, I believe SWUs and mileage upgrades require 001 ticket stock. That's what I've been trying to gleen since it was unclear from your posting who was issuing your ticket and whether that theme was consistent throughout your denied upgrades.

As aamilesslave points out, it seems they are opening that up a bit, but it appears they might not be following that guidance. When did you try to do these upgrades? Recently or when it was first offered?

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible to request a given airline stock. For example, I am holding right now a 006 (DL) ticket for flights entirely on KL non-codeshare. I also book 001 (AA) stock for flights on OW carriers. Booking through the airline of the stock you want usually will do that automatically. With travel agents you must specify. That, BTW, does not alter any booking codes or otehr entitlements. It just allows you to deal with problems through your carrier of choice.