Benefit of in person vs phone

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by FetePerfection, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying yesterday from STL-MSP our aircraft was delayed...first weather, then mech, then weather again. Eventually the flight was canceled so rather than stand in line for rebooking, I called premium sales line - they'd already rebooked me but in lousy seats so res moved me to exit row.

I decided I should secure new boarding passes so ended up standing in line anyway since STL doesn't have the kiosks ATL does that just spits out the new bp. After waiting 45 min, finally met with GA to get new bp in exit row. He looks at me with a goofy look on his face and said, "oh, I wondered where that ghost booking came from" then said my exit row seats were no longer available, but offered cozy seats in the last row.

I'm just a little surprised the GA wouldn't know that the so-called "ghost" booking was made by the person I spoke with in premium sales and that he shouldn't be overriding said ghost booking. Given my flight was 65 min and I'd been delayed 5 hours, I was happy to have seats at all.

Lesson learned for me: in person rebooking gets better results.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see it differently. The GA was out of line to cancel an elite's reserved seat in IROPs on a whim. Call DL and complain. The seats should not have been liberated until 10 minutes before the newly scheduled departure time, at which time all reservations by no shows are subject to cancellation.

BondAir007, DeltaExpert and Italy98 like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's possible the GA was new or just flustered while rushing to deal with the masses and thought he did something to mistakenly assign the seat at some point without realizing it, but it was obviously inappropriate.

4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What surprised me the most was the GA comment about the ghost booking as if he's never seen such a thing before and wondered where it came from. Do these guys just live in the moment and not understand the bigger picture or are they just constantly putting out fires and don't care how they do it? Rhetorical question really but feel free to offer perspective...

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had the PM (at the time) and DM desk make changes before and there was no problem with the re-booking.

Definitely NOT cool what happened in your case. :confused:

Italy98 likes this.
  6. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call the PM desk and express you utter dissatisfaction with the actions of the GA overriding the PM desk assignment.

7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well this makes it all better - I just received 500 miles for being stuck in the middle...I know they've been doing this for some time, but I think it's just funny.

DeltaExpert likes this.