Benefit for Hurricane Sandy relief for library

Discussion in 'InsideFlyer Cares | community giving' started by mhnadel, Jan 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The library in my home town, Island Park, NY, was flooded during Hurricane Sandy and lost over 20,000 books (essentially everything on the first floor). They are working on restoring and are closed indefinitely until that work is done.

Island Park is a small town with limited resources, so I decided to help. I've gotten my local storytelling guild, Voices in the Glen, and a bookstore here in the D.C. area together to organize a benefit storytelling concert.

It's 7 p.m. on Saturday February 16th at One More Page Books, 2200 North Westmoreland Street, #101, Arlington, VA, 22213.

Performances are intended for adults and children who can listen like adults. Featured performers are Noa Baum, Geraldine Buckley, Margaret Chatham, Tim Livengood, Lauren Martino, Miriam Nadel, and Merrillee Pallansch, with Gary Lloyd emceeing.

I hope to see some of you there. Suggested donation is $10-25. If you are interested and unable to attend, the store will have a donation jar out for the week before the event.

You can also contribute by check payable to the Island Park Public Library and sent to:

Attn: Island Park Public Library Restoration Fund
    Nassau Library System
    900 Jerusalem Ave.
    Uniondale, NY, 11553-3039

iolaire and canucklehead like this.
  2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumping because the event is just a couple of days away and is going to be awesome. The venue is where President Obama and his daughters bought books for Christmas presents on Small Business Saturday. The performers are some of the best storytellers in the mid-Atlantic region. And it is for a good cause!

iolaire likes this.
  3. MMYoung

MMYoung New Member

Status Points:
    Hello! I am the director of the Island Park Public Library. I accidentally came across your post here, and was blown away by it. Did you hold this event yesterday? Please let me know how it all went and share it all...I want to hear all of the wonderful details.

4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we did hold it and we raised over $600. I will be mailing off a letter and check later today, as well as writing up a blog post with the full story.

And welcome to MilePoint!