bending rules while using delta skymiles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by riceoven, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked a few complex delta skymiles itineraries recently and noticed that I am able to get away with some minor bending of the rules. For example, I have been able to get both a stopover and a open jaw into my trip without question - but usually any complex itinerary I book ends up taking a long time as I get transferred to the international desk and they manually book it as the normal agents have trouble or their computer prices it incorrectly. In my recently book trip, I've even managed to get a "one time exception" and got 2 stopovers and an open jaw. But this was due to the agents feeling bad that one of my flights was booked incorrectly into "F" class by an agent that thought it was first class (when it's really economy for Virgin Australia), and then they were not able to get any first/business inventory anymore when they realized the mistake. so now, I have an itinerary for two people that looks like this: JFK-ICN-AKL-//-SYD-//-MEL-//-LAX-MSP-LGA all for just 125,000 miles, economy one way to SYD, and business class return the rest of the way (including the 2nd stop over).

What are you experiences in bending the rules with Delta agents?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stopover + open jaw is pretty standard and prices correctly online much of the time.

How long are your stopovers?

alohastephen and Tkey like this.
  3. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    5 days each (3x)

alohastephen likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you've checked for availability in business class returning on Virgin from Sydney or Brisbane as well as Melbourne.

5. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah, at the time of booking, they were all available (+/- a day or two), but I needed to be in Sydney during the middle of the trip, so visiting Melbourne and flying from there made sense for me. Is there a difference in those flights?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK the only difference is the DL SYD flight versus the Virgin flights.

7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a great redemption too. I need to spend more time putting together my next delta award.

I wonder if there's something I could have done with the 80K i spent getting to Alaska, maybe I could add in a stop somewhere else as well (though I don't think any other continents would be included in the 80k price).

8. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One can get pretty creative on itineraries to Alaska at a much lower point redemption value. After you decide what you want, there's just the need to figure out the components (often piecing together blocks of one or two segments at low redemption levels).