Bejing or Bali?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Aktchi, Aug 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't resist and booked LAX-PEK during the current AA sale. I can only manage 5 days on ground, in September.

Question is, do I spend 5 days in Beijing, or keep going to Bali? For China, I'll need to get visa. For Bali, I get visa on arrival; award space and very clean connections are also available.

Have always wanted to visit both, been to neither. Not enough time to do both this time.

So, my dilemma is, 5 days in Beijing or 4 days in Bali? :)

Any advice from the more experienced folks greatly appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused - are u buying a separate ticket pek-dps?

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having done both for a four days each. I would stay with PEK. More to see and do with China.

YULtide and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be going to Bali for the first on Dec 30, planning to spend 4-5 days, including New Year's eve, on the beach, which is what I associate Bali with. On the other hand, I have been to Beijing at least once every year since 2005 (it does not appear like I will make it there this year, though), and definitely agree with the above. Make your destination Wangfujing and you will have great sights to see (Forbidden City, Tienanmen Square) and stuff to do at walking distance...

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add to the list to see in PEK, the great wall outside the city, the hutongs, the summer palace, the Olympic sites,

YULtide likes this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I just wanted to grab the LAX-PEK fare before it disappeared like LAX-SIN, but I didn't know whether to stay with Beijing or use as base for something else. I looked for awards to DPS, CNX, SGN etc, places I have not visited, and DPS was available, so I put PEK-DPS award on hold while I think about it. Of course, it is not free, it will be around 45K miles in J (Y not available).
    Thank you both for your recommendations. I am leaning towards Beijing too. It would certainly be more economical. (I'll look forward to DPS in future. With a well-planned "explorer" award, I could do 5-6 cities for 80K instead of 1 for 45K.)

paladinua and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

It totally depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for. If you want to do a great deal of sightseeing, I would recommend Beijing. If you are interested a relaxing in a beautiful atmosphere with very warm water, then Bali is the place to go. There is certainly some sightseeing such as Ubud and other areas in Bali, but I think Bali is much more of a kick back kind of vacation.

shellystefanni, Aktchi and milchap like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1! We spent a few days in Beijing a couple of years ago and stayed in a courtyard hotel in a hutong. It was a great experience.

9. Remember that late December weather in PEK can be pretty cold.

milchap and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why, as US North-easterner, I will be in Bali...;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP is travelling in September.

12. OOPS... I thought I saw a beach in bali at New Years.:oops:

milchap likes this.
  13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:

On a 5 day trip, the travel to/from DPS is going to realistically burn closer to two extra days, not just one, as a connection in HKG both ways + ~6800 miles of extra travel is a lot of time on top of a TPAC makes for a pretty short amount of time on the ground.

I'd save Bali for when you can spend a longer time there. Using the Explorer award to hit it on a more leisurely trip sounds about right to me.

paladinua and miles and smiles like this.
  14. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree with Eponymous -- You'll burn lots of time getting down to Bali.

Of course the real question may be - do you have a Visa (to China), if not, you'll need to have a continuing flight to utilize the I think 48-72 hour transit visa.. If that's the case, that explorer award (although that seems like a lot for 5 days), or a quick hop to SGN or CNX may work out quite well to save the cost of the visa, and see a little of both.