Being a UA 1k/*gold can have its perks when flying LH

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a connection from my BC UA flight in FRA to an ongoing flight to Tallinn. I was seated in economy on the LH flight. When the LH gate agent tapped my boarding pass it gave off a beep and she said to wait a minute. A new boarding pass was issued and I was upgraded to LH business class. It was the first time in the many times of using LH as a connecting flight this has happened. I noticed during the boarding process I was the only *G to board. When I got on the aircraft, the flight attendant informed me that I was the only BC passenger and the upgrade was issued due to an overselling of the flight. The service was excellent, nice snack and drinks, it was one of the new BC cabin which did have 3x3 seating and the only downer was that the BC seats were pretty much like the new UA A319/320 economy seats, not the most comfortable in the world, but then for a two hour flight the enjoyment of sitting in BC on LH made up for it

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a similar experience last year transiting through FRA from VCE (LH) toward YYZ (LH) and then on to YEG (AC). In the Senator lounge I asked if there were any better seats available instead of the middle two of four for Mrs Y and me. No luck, I was told. Then at boarding the beep went off and we both crossed the Atlantic in J instead of Y. Boarding for the final leg on AC, we found ourselves upgraded again! And this was low-level *G status as an AC E50K.

Bottom line, it looks like LH treats *G passengers well.

Flyer1976, Garp74, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear! I fly LH a lot intra-Europe and ex-FRA/MUC to Africa and Asia, and have been nothing but happy with them.

YULtide likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has happened to me on occasion, most often on flights from WAW. It's an operational upgrade because they need the seat, not a comp upgrade based on status (although LH does use status to determine whom to offer the op-up to).

sfo1 likes this.
  5. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happens on Swiss as well. I guess if flights are oversold in Economy their own medal Gold and then Star Gold get upgrades. Has happened to me and family members 4-5 times ZRH-PEK-ZRH

sfo1 and Garp74 like this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it happened again yesterday Nov 1 flying from RIX to FRA, oversold situation again so ended up in BC, had 4 of us in it out of 12 seats available not counting the middle seats. Service was great and the snack or more like lunch was delicious. I fly UA BC quite a bit and the quality offered by UA just does not compare with LH in my opinion.

Counsellor, YULtide and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They go by Fare Class and then Status.

I've only received 2 Operational Upgrades whilst flying Lufthansa on a Y Fare as a *G from FRA to DEL and DEL to FRA back in 2011. :D

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teh Sky Goddesses must be smiling upon you on this trip. ;)

sfo1 and YULtide like this.