Beijing Hotels

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by vardievard, Jan 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    We're going to Beijing in Mid August for 4 days as part of a NYC-PEK-TYO-FRA-CPH-NYC Trip. I've decided to keep this trip as cheap as possible so opting for the lower SPG properties (award nights) versus Westin or St-Regis. Personally I love Aloft hotels but the Sheraton seems to be slightly better location. Anyone have some opinions on the below 2 properties?

The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel Beijing
    Aloft Beijing, Haidian

2. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will stay in the Great Wall Sheraton next week. I'll let you know afterwards.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Great Wall Sheration is the worst of all the SPG properties in Bejing and is not great at all.:)

I know you said you wanted to stay away from Westins but the West Chaoyang upgraded us to a great corner suite and has a very nice lounge. Plats can also take their breakfast downstairs... one of the most extensive breakfast buffets I have see anywhere bar none.
    Subway just across the street so you can get anywhere you want.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    I am only a gold with SPG and when traveling with friends we usually stay in hostels or AirBnB properties. We might have different standards, but would you say this Great Wall Sheraton is an OK hotel for just somewhere to sleep? Or is it so out of the way and not well kept that it isn't worth it...

Thank you for all the help!

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The great wall is an OK hotel...l so based on you criteria it should be fine.
    The location is a bit outside the city centre so you will have to use a taxi to get to nearest subway.

6. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    You got me thinking and reading all reviews again! I think location is a bit far now, don't mind taking can to sightsee but would like to be able to walk from hotel for food and shopping. Any recommendations for area of lodging that would have that. So far I've been told Soho