Beijing hotel workers already 'fed up' with Obama entourage in $8,350 p/n suite

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Mar 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beijing hotel workers already 'fed up' with Obama entourage in 3400-square-foot, $8,350-per-night suite

gregm, OY-JFS, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They're probably just upset that they aren't getting bit tips.

From everything I've heard, a significant portion of the people who would normally be staying in those suites in that part of the world are extremely arrogant and dismissive of the "servants", so I doubt seriously that there is anything in this groups behavior that approaches what the staff encounters normally. However, it's a good fluff story to serve various agendas.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the story maybe full of "fluff"....I would be more concerned about these numbers, which may enrages the American tax payer:

Newscience and FetePerfection like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every administration, Republican or Democratic, racks up enormous charges for travel and entertainment that can be selectively cited to enrage some subset of the population.

I'm not certain how having either side engage in that practice here at milepoint contributes to the site's mission of sharing travel information. There are plenty of other on-line communities that exist primarily to engender that sense of partisan rage; this topic might be more productively discussed on those sites.

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep.

I am an American taxpayer, a Republican, and no fan of Obama. I'm not "enraged" in the least by this non-story. What does anger me is the fact that people are taking shots at the President (irrespective of the incumbent) and his family for doing the correct thing. He is the President of the United States. He and his family have legitimate security and logistical concerns that we do not have. They can't just get a room at a Red Roof Inn or Motel 6. They can't book a cheap fare on Kayak or Expedia. :rolleyes: (And know that the President himself isn't on this trip. My point still stands.)

The security procedures outlined in the article are all normal for Presidential/First Family travel. They're screening people who enter their hotel?! Oh, the horror! :rolleyes:

Nor am I.

It would be discussed on other forums you speak of, but it wouldn't be discussed productively. It would just descend into partisan name-calling and mud-slinging.

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am troubled that no source is quoted for this "news" item and it seems to be treated here as fact.

Also, consider that Chinese news media is notoriously lacking in objectivity.

I always thought Milepointers had a healthy sense of skepticism!

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a pointless thread. Pun intended.

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    A common feature of modern "journalism."

It's from the Daily Mail, which is UK-based. However, they have a reputation for sensationalism. I enjoy reading their coverage on occasion, but you need to take everything they say with a grain of salt. Or several grains of salt.

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh?

Most Asian countries charge 10% service on rooms, so that gives them $800 a night for that room only.

Newscience and eponymous_coward like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Think the maids get those $800?

11. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The workers should split it, theoretically. Chinese employers wouldn't steal from their employees, would they? :)

WilliamQ, Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dailymail is a tabloid class news outfit. Download hola plugin and then see their UK version :)

Newscience, Gargoyle and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm no Obama fan but there is legitimate security concerns when it comes to high rent rooms, etc. I would think they would have the entire floor and maybe rooms above and below normally. What I don't like is that there do seem to be many vacation or golf type trips going on under this administration and if these happened under another party administration would be all over the media.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please feel free to compare the number of days "vacation" (if any president can be said to ever be truly on vacation) between this administration and the last, or between Democratic and Republican administrations in general. I would be happy to bet you that if there is a significant difference it's not in the direction you claim it is.

15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have data to compare between the last few presidencies ?

It should be matter of public record, right ?

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe they do in almost all cases. I read a book a while ago by Ronald Kessler called "Inside the White House" (which basically was White House staff & Secret Service agents offering behind the scenes gossip), and a Secret Service agent basically said they take the entire floor that the President stays on. No one but the President stays on that floor. I don't recall if it said this in the book (I read it when I was in college around 15 years ago), but it wouldn't surprise me if they took over adjoining floors as well. I think (but can't recall specifically) that the book also said that they like to have the President stay on the top floor of the hotel, so they can evacuate him by helicopter in a hurry if they have to.

This is an official trip that is being discussed here. And as far as personal and political trips go, there is a formula for who pays what. For political trips, the President's party pays for some of it, for personal trips the President and his family pay for some of it (of course the government always pays for security & government logistics), and as long as the President and his family pay their share according to the formula, they can do whatever they want, IMO.

And you're right, the media and others would be complaining if a Republican president took a bunch of similar trips. And those complaints would be bulls***, just like complaints about Obama's trips are.

I read an article years ago (during GW Bush's presidency - can't remember where it appeared) that basically said most presidents took about the same number of trips.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Michelle Obama has SPG membership? That room cost, if true, rakes in a whole lot of points....

WilliamQ, daninstl, Thomask and 2 others like this.
  19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does she pay rack rates, or take the government discount? :)

20. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably government....maybe she signed up for the SPG point promos too...

WilliamQ, daninstl, gregm and 2 others like this.
  21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article quotes CBS News as the main source ;) The most reliable and authentic data should come from Fox News or The News of the World ! :D

BTW: Will AF1 join an Alliance ?

gregm, LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  22. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chinese for the most part love Americans, many want to have their pictures taken with you.

As for the Hotel staff the Beijing I can tell you they do remember you when you return, even the maids,

Chinese do laugh at American spending habits, and their lack of financial responsibilities.

Rest assured Obama's will be treated far better over there, that if the shoe was reversed. Obama is not famous for sharing the consideration.

gregm likes this.
  23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this article is mostly fluff, and likely meant to "enrage/engage" it's readers. That stated, it's interesting to note the huge Milepoint response that most air travel-related articles just don't get on Milepoint! :rolleyes:

Although, I personally am offended when any traveler treats people as though they are better than others! If you're planning on doing this on the government's dime, then just stay home, there's more than enough "Ugly American" travelling stories already out there.

24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are, sadly, rude jerks in every walk of life, including the government. And if people act like that abroad, it's a pretty safe bet they act like that at home, too.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  25. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points: