Before the Annual Fee is due

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Feb 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The almost last vestiges of nearly 30 years as a Mileage Plus member. My account has less than 5000 miles. I charged about $12 a month ago to keep those valuable miles active for another 18 months. I've had this card (or prior incarnations) since I can't remember when. The agent didn't have much to offer (if the fee would be waived, I'd have kept it). She offered me 2 lounge passes to keep the account.

She was able to transfer $10K of the credit line over to my IHG Chase MC.

Scissors -----------> Friendly!

MP Visa.jpg

iolaire, edcho, Flyer1976 and 7 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually glad you made a stand. Cheers. :)

Newscience likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang in there. My last paid flight on UA was in 2012, yet in 2013 they offered me 50,000 miles to get a UA credit card which I kept for a year. Just used the last of those miles DUB-ATH, connecting in IST on the way back 2 days ahead of Wandering Aramean who got stuck there in the snowstorm. If they come along in a year or two and tell me how valuable a customer I am, I may have to apply again.

You have 3,000 miles more than I do. :)

traveltoomuch, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cutting up your card to spoil your face. :D From my perspective the four free club passes I get annually plus no FE charges are worth the annual fee to keep it for when I use my remaining miles.
    (one a year or so, domestic)

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last paid flight was also in 2012. I used the last of my miles (mostly) for an LH redemption last year. UA has not told me how valuable I am in years. Well, save the propaganda that comes with the UA Gold MM card that comes every year. And if I ever feel the burning desire to go to a UC, my Priority Pass will get me in. Chances are, I won't have a burning desire. But if I do, and partake in the complimentary beverage selection, I'll leave with burning ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶r̶e̶ esophagus.

No "I'm never flying UA again" tantrum, nor a "I'll never have a UA credit card again" rant. But now, there's no need to pay an annual fee on something that is a waste-o-dough.

uggboy, Flyer1976, flyforawg and 2 others like this.
  6. JAGS-CR

JAGS-CR Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the beef with the card! I have a MilagePlus Club card, for which I pay $395 annually, an AAdvantage Executive card that costs $450, and the AmEx Platinum, that charges also $450.

I fly roughly 100K and 80K annually on United and American Airlines respectively, and the almost $1300 in annual fees seems like a very good bargain to me...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015