Beer/wine travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by boondr, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just as obsessed with craft beer as I am with miles/points. My "collectors" item is brewery T-shirts (30-40 unique ones from 25 or so breweries so far)

My wife likes wineries and I think they are fun as well. We've done a few trips to CA but I want more ideas.

Anyone have any good Beer/Wine vacations they can share? ( don't eliminate CA as its a big state and I can filter out things I know about)

Thanks

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously, Belgium.

Surprise beer destination these days? Italy.

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops mods can you move this to the travel section my mistake.

4. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest Oregon. Incredible craft beer and great wineries. You can find great breweries throughout the state. I live in Eugene and there are great breweries in town including Ninkasi, Oakshire and Hop Valley. There is also a Rogue outpost and another local place Falling Sky, that doesn't distribute, but serves great beer in their restaurant. Also, great wineries nearby. There isn't the opulence of Napa but still lots of good wine, pinots and whites are especially good. Also, many more options in and around Portland. I am a craft beer aficionado myself and just moved to Oregon a year ago. It is second to none, in my opinion.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    My home of Colorado. The "front range" (Colorado Springs at the south to Fort Collins at the north) is a beer mecca. I work in downtown Denver and can be at 5 different breweries within 2 miles. http://coloradobeer.org/

servo46250 and boondr like this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're talking in the states, you can hit up the great lakes region for some great craft brewing. You've got Goose Island and Flossmoor Station (one of my faves) in Chicago, then you have Three Floyd's just across the state border in Dyer, Indiana and then up the road in Kalamazoo, Michigan you have Bell's Brewery. I've not been a huge fan of a lot of local brews here in Florida, although I will say there's an amber called Monk in the Trunk from Jupiter, FL that I really enjoy.

7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oregon, Oregon, Oregon. Portland alone has 50 craft breweries. Wineries are an easy day trip.

8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any Airports in So. Oregon I can fly into to hit Crater lake in the same trip?

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asheville was voted Beer City USA two years in a row with a burgeoning number of craft breweries. There are a couple dozen wineries within 100 miles of Asheville.

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said. And by burgeoning he means a crap ton. We have also been selected by two midsize breweries as the place they will be building new facilities New Belgium being one, I can't recall the other.

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sierra Nevada is the other.

12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asheville as in AVL?

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yep! The biggest concentration of wineries is to the east of AVL, so CLT and GSO are also possibilities.

14. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being in Va AVL is probably a drive to destination for me.

15. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic- Here is a handy interactive map that shows all the craft breweries across the US: Craft Beer Map
    I personally recommend Colorado, Texas (Austin), and Oregon. Lots of great outdoor activities, fun cities, great people and even better food & drink

International: Germany (Bavaria especially), Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, England (if you like room temp ales). Germany also has fine selection of wines and wineries.

16. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to go farther afield, I heartily recommend Prague for the Czech Beer Festival in May (runs for most of the month). In addition to some great Czech beer, you can enjoy one of the best cities on the planet.

Andyandy

For domestics, one of my favorites is the Knoxville Brewer's Jam (http://knoxvillebrewersjam.com/), usually held the first away weekend in October. Thirty odd breweries beneath the Sunsphere at the old World's Fair park. And the proceeds go to charity, woohoo, beer for charity! I'll be there again this year, October 6th.

17. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are airports in Klamath Falls and Medford. Not exactly sure about the routes and airlines. Klamath Falls would be the closet to Crater Lake. We are about 2 1/2 hours northwest of Crater Lake here in Eugene. I highly recommend a day trip if you can fit it in the schedule.

18. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would add the Central Coast of California, where there are a number of new microbreweries. I also remember reading something about Australia developing a microbrew industry, but I really have no idea where they would be.