Been reading about the Alaska credit card 50k sign up bonus

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by dhammer53, Dec 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This credit card looks interesting, considering the airline allows stopovers on 1 - way awards, not to mention their partners. After reading what Darius had to say on MMS today, I'm about to pull the trigger. Seems like a no-brainer.

Do you agree? What words of wisdom do you have to share with new flyers to the program.

dh

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot say my words have wisdom, but the AS MP is a great bank for the wayward traveler who doesn't have much current loyalty. Although no one can tell what the fallout of the AA/US merger, as well as the DL attacks on AS with respect to the MP, it is a great bank. I do miss the mix/match on award travel that I used to enjoy with UA, but that is pretty much gone (at UA mileage levels) and the new one-way award scheme should make things a lot better on this end. We are now getting EQMs will all partners (earning levels vary depending on the fare class). This company tends to "do right" by their customers, not to say that every once in awhile the ball drops pretty hard.

I've been contemplating moving some of my AS bank earn over to AA, but I can't yet pull that trigger, as time will only tell if that would have been a good idea, so for the time being, I'm staying put with what has turned out to be the most stable "old school" airline out there!

Give your support to Chester. He will welcome you!

3. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Mileage Plan program better than the BofA credit card that goes with it. But the 50k mileage offer isn't bad.

I'm not sure that I would keep the card for more than the first year --- with taxes, the domestic coach companion fares are closer to $150 +/- and the $75 annual fee bumps it up to the equivalent of $225 or thereabouts.

Depending on where you live and where you want to fly, it's either providing value (or not). For me, it was not.

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My new credit card arrived today. We've been talking about taking a trip to Alaska for a long time. With 50,000 miles, we can head deep into Alaska, without using my Avios points.

dh

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind if you are flying east coast to Alaska you may need to use your free stop over to connect in SEA, at least if flying into SE AK.

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hold on a minute. Are you telling me that if I fly NYC to ANC, and connect in SEA, that counts as my stopover, even if I'm not stopping over for a day or two?

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past on AS if you connect for more then 4 hrs on a domestic route technically it's a stopover. Only written exception was when it's last flight in and first flight out the next am but first flight seems very flexible.

Also I've seen AS sell tickets from east coast to Hawaii and AK with 12+hr layovers in SEA but those all are rev and not award so rules might be different.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% sure but last time I tried to research it that was what I thought that I found. Assuming that you can not directly connect to the second AS flight. Again I could be wrong, I think I gave up on the award I was thinking of due to a lack of availability and ended up using my $99 companion ticket.

dhammer53 likes this.