Been bugging me for a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont quite understand why, but why is service on any of the US airlines so poor. What I mean is that I was on a 1.5 hour flight from PEK-ICN in Economy (yah, Economy...). Got a full meal (see picture below), a hot towel, and free alcohol. Why is it sooooo difficult for the US carriers to follow suit? Its just a little frustrating..... :mad:

Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 12.00.14 AM.png

sobore likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different cost structure, including labor costs. Also different price elasticity of demand and willingness to pay for different quality dimensions.

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. It just feels that when I do travel international I get "pampered" in Economy which makes me feel like Im in Premium Economy or really cheap business class.

autolycus likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the USA, many travelers simply pick the cheapest ticket. It can be shockingly expensive to provide even a very modest coach meal on board.

NickM_LA, autolycus and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simply because food and labor are still relatively cheap in Asia and, importantly, service (i.e., the notion that if you take someone's money the honorable thing to do is to deliver) still means something in some parts of the world, especially in Asia. This concept is not limited to the airline industry, either...You would be hard pressed, e.g., to find a hotel that provides sub-par service...

kyunbit and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Food is not cheap in Asia, but labor is. Also travel on a plane is still seen as part or aristocracy. The pampering is just to make you feel special that you can afford the flight that many wont. But the conception is changing. So, food may go away soon. In Indian skies, it has already happened.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If what one pays for is food+labor, then, relatively speaking, I would say would one pays a lot less for quality food in Asia than in the US for roughly comparable metro cities, and generally that is true...

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    In India, a decent restaurant would charge about $15 per person per meal. A good one would charge anywhere between $25 and $40. And I am not talking of the high end ones..where's the difference?

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been to India but I have been all over China, several times in Singapore and SE Asia: Food is cheap, including in metropolitan areas like Shanghai, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur....

kyunbit likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....but in most of Asia, alcohol is very expensive, with the possible exception of local beer.

kyunbit likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not recall alcohol being "very" expensive...some imports may be but that's no different elsewhere. There are various locally produced alcoholic beverages (scotches, wines, etc...) that are cheap.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where in Asia. Local wine is expensive in Indonesia for the quality and local beer in Singapore pubs is expensive. Japanese scotch is expensive.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The generalization, in my view, is not warranted. Just like anywhere, there are "well" drinks that are inexpensive and "premium" drinks that can be on the high side, as well as prices in between. "Tiger" beer in Singapore is dirt cheap, e.g.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just give it a few more years and the Asian carriers might (be forced to) follow the US standard.