Bed Bugs - YUK

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, May 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I woke up this morning at a 4 star hotel in Paris with the preverbal breakfast, lunch and dinner markings of bed bug(s) on my back. I tore apart my bed and found little droppings but no bugs and no shells. I know I went to bed with a bite-free back last night and woke up having been the poo-poo platter for some unknown creature, presumably a bed bug.

Without hard evidence, I went to the front desk and quietly asked for a room change and quietly explained the reason. Of course they were mortified but very politely complied. I'm wondering what you all would do in this situation or if you've encountered this in the past, what did you do? I don't have proof per se and I'm certainly not asking for compensation but did I jump to conclusions too early?

notme2012, Newscience, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do have the proof; the bites on your back. You don't seem the type to make things up or exaggerate. What is there to do? If it were a large hotel chain, I may hint for some comp via points, but if not, I wouldn't think there's much of anything to do but apologize to you and maybe give you a token of apology. (Pastries!!!Yumm)

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know the bites weren't there before but they don't know that...I've stayed at this hotel before and certainly did not make any complaints so that speaks volumes. Anyway, free breakfast would be nice! Thanks for your input.

Newscience, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other then perhaps being shy or embarrassed about mentioning it to the FD, why wouldn't you tell them your suspicions about the bugs? If only to have them check out the room for telltale signs of the bugs, or fumigate it if needed so the next unsuspecting guests aren't faced with the same bites upon awakening, I believe you definately should tell the hotel about the problem in your first room, and the reason you've asked for a room change.

While I can appreciate your not wanting to make a scene or have a confrontation, still your safety and comfort should be paramount in your, and their minds, and you should bring your concerns to the hotel's attention, IMO. And if you have the time, perhaps see a physician or at the very least, mention it to a pharmacist, who may be able to satisfy you that it's nothing else and of no immediate concern.

In any case, I hope your bites and rash, itchiness, have now subsided and you're feeling more comfortable by now.

Please keep us posted about how it all turned out and that you're now okay.

notme2012, gregm, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh don't get me wrong, I did tell the front desk and I was moved to another room which appears to be bug-free. From a health and safety standpoint I didn't want to stay in that room another moment but I also didn't want to feel like I'm over-reacting.

gregm, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  6. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    The droppings were proof too. Also if you unpacked your clothes you should have the hotel dry clean each and every item. And don't forgot the free ride those buggers can take on your suitcase. You don't want to take a hitchhiker home.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Btw. Bed bugs also frequent the dark places of the underside of drawers and the backs of pictures that are hanging on the wall. For the bed check look on the seams of the mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the tips on dealing with the hitchhikers - I will be extra careful.

9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FP, I don't think you've overreacted, and I give you credit for not insisting on any compensation, just a different room. But as Betty B. suggests, be careful now with your clothing and suitcases/bags, as you wouldn't want to carry the critters home with you, or drop them off to infest other rooms on your travels. Good idea as she suggested, that if you're still at the same hotel, to ask them to clean your clothes (at no charge because of the bugs) to keep safe on your further travels.

Even those suitcase stands that are found in most hotel's closets may have bugs on them, from what I've read, and although we've been lucky so far in all our travels over the years, if you've got 'em, it's hard to be sure you're fully rid of them, so be careful for a while. Don't mean to be sounding paranoid, but it doesn't sound easy to be fully finished with those pests, and if you infested your home with them it could lead to an expensive fumigation bill.

notme2012, gregm and Betty Boop like this.
  10. kbarto2

kbarto2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love your profile picture and you write well. However, I am compelled to tell you that it is not a "poo-poo" platter but a pu pu platter. As far as the hotel cleaning all of your clothes and luggage . . . I don't think that is fair. You can't be certain the little buggers didn't hitch a ride to the hotel with you.

11. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the spelling lesson, I was actually trying to be a little cute with my misspell. Regarding cleaning, I think you misunderstood...I did not ask the hotel to clean my luggage or my clothes. I took everything home and did so on my own.

12. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in a sheraton in NJ once and found bed bugs in the bed before falling alseep and before they bit me too much. The hotel put me in another room, dry cleaned all my stuff and gave me a free meal - it took a request on my part to get them to offer the free meal, but they did and I appreciated that. I didn't stay in that sheraton on my visits after though rather choosing to stay at the fairfield inn that although not as fancy had free breakfast and a better free internet connection sans bed bugs.

13. pearltf1

pearltf1 Active Member

Status Points:
    You did the right thing complaining, however, if there are bedbugs in one room of the hotel, you can be certain there are others. personally speaking, I would have told the front desk and left the hotel.

14. jim87

jim87 Active Member

Status Points:
    Having had a couple of bed bug encounters the standard remedy seemed to be : profuse apologies, immediate room change, and at check out, the night was comped.

15. Easy Victor

Easy Victor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the advice given to you was far better than what you did. If you brought any of your clothes or suitcases into your home, you potentially have made another problem for yourself. I had very close friends who unknowingly transported bed bugs from a hotel into their home. It cost them (or their insurance company) tens of thousands of dollars to fix the problem (which included sealing off the master bedroom and heating it and all its contents to 150 deg F as I recall).

This is nothing to be taken lightly.

16. timinbrooklyn

timinbrooklyn Silver Member

Status Points:
    MANY years ago, before most readers here had been born and before bed bugs were an international issue, I stayed in an hotel in France, probably 2 star, and woke to a back criss-crossed with bites. I knew what they were and told the front desk (and I speak good French) and they looked non-plussed so I demanded the manger, went in to his office and took off my shirt and said "Volia.." As he had never seen the result of bed bugs before, he was most interested and would have taken pictures, but he had no film. I DID get a free night !

notme2012 likes this.