Beat Cancer, Lost 1K Status

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by btraugh, Apr 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. btraugh

btraugh Active Member

Status Points:
    After being a Continental/United 1K member for at least 5 years, I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer and went through 14 months of treatment and recovery. As I prepared to get back to work, I thought I could contact United and they would agree that my situation was worthy of reinstating the years of dedicated service to United... but I was wrong. I forfeited the cost of 2 tickets that were past a year, lost the upgrades I earned prior to my cancer, and I needed to purchase something to retain my miles. As for my status, United's first take was that I would be just your normal standard "Member"!! After several calls and emails, I finally found one agent with a little compassion to at least provide me with Gold status.

Moral of the story... You can beat a life threatening cancer, but don't expect compassion from United.

2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of their compassion, you were awarded a greater gift. Congratulations from a caregiver to a cancer survivor.

3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It goes without saying:
    You can love a brick, but the brick will not love you back. :(

I am very glad that you have recovered from your illness and are able to return to work. That certainly is the greater love. ;)

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You've been through a lot, but some things are more important than a few points. It may take another investment of time, but hopefully you'll get your status back and life that much more back to normal.

Congratulations on a very important win !!!

DTWBOB

5. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been through my own health issues, about all I can say is that you're winning.
    I went from gold to dirt and have no complaints. While status is nice, thousands of folks fly without and manage to survive.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being healthy enough to work and travel again is a huge gift in itself. I'm sorry UA wasn't more compassionate, but that's to be expected from most businesses. As it is, they were eventually kind enough to give you Gold, which itself is worth something.

Take care, and may many more healthy days await you.

uggboy, IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be glad you were awarded an upgrade to second chances. Many are not afforded the same. Congrats on the win!

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point I would be happy with having a life with family moving forward. Airline status is not that important in the overall scheme.

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mazel Tov on being around to have a choice of airlines, and exercising your choice!
    Several years ago, I had a couple of very particular personal instances (fortunately neither involving my health) where I asked the respective programs for a life raft (one hotel, one airline) and they each granted me a one-time courtesy status extension (remaining at their respective top tiers). It didn't go unnoticed, as I've remained at the top tier or occasionally one tier down in the respective programs ever since (decade-plus). I'd take my Gold status, and match it elsewhere and "live dangerously!" ;)

TAHKUCT, traveltoomuch and uggboy like this.