Beachy propery in South East U.S. and Asia

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by anabolism, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm putting together a status run on OneWorld carriers.

I'm looking for a beachy Hikton property that's not too expensive (could use points or pay for a room) for a few (3-4) nights in early April somewhere on a nice swimming beach that's an easy flight on AA, say easily served by DFW or ORD. I'm think Hilton Clearwater Beach (I stayed there a few years ago) or maybe Doubletree Tampa Bay (never stayed). Water might be chilly in early April though. I wad originally thinking of Hilton Curaçao because I loved the water but it's three hops for me, connecting at DFW and MIA, and I'm trying to keep my sectors down so I'll have more elsewhere. Likewise, Barbados and Cancun all seem to require extra sectors.

Separately, I'm looking for a nice Hilton property on Asia for 2-3 days very esrly January that's an easy flight from HKG. I thought of Phuket (never been) but flights are hard to find in D, and people say the beaches are dirty and not nice. I heard Bali has a nice Conrad but again beaches aren't nice, but there is a nice swimming pool good for laps.

Thoughts and advice and suggestions are welcome!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. rosscoe68

rosscoe68 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton resort in Phuket is stunning, the beach across the road has the clearest and cleanest water I have ever seen. The resort has great rates. Ask for a room in the lotus wing.

The Conrad Bali is also stunning, but awful beach. I wouldn't even put a toe in that water!

Kalboz likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as the Florida properties on the Gulf go (closer to TPA) I would take the Clearwater property anytime over the DT in addition the beach is not that nice at the DT Rocky Point.

On the Atlantic side ( nearer to MIA) the Bentley on Miami Beach is right near the action if thats your thing.
    Personally since it appears you might be renting a car I would go with the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach, nice property always got nice upgrades there, beach is the public beach on the other side of the street.
    The Atlantic side is guaranteed to be warmer than the gulf side in April (but April was pretty warm this year) but bear in mind that whichever property you choose will be at the tail end of the busy season and in the middle of spring break.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! The rates at the Hilton Phuket are a bit steep ($400/night) but it's only 25,000 points, so I might use an award. But I saw some references to frequent drownings there, even in January, with claims that it's unsafe. Is there a problem, or is it just that once in a while there are dangerous riptides?

Thanks!

No, I'm just looking for a quiet place to spend a fun day or two swimming in the ocean and relaxing, walking around, that sort of thing. The Florida stop is just a place that's only two flights each way for me, in North America, that's fun. The Bentley seems very expensive then. It looks nice, though.

I rented a car the previous times I was in Clearwater (2004 and 2007) but would like to avoid it if I can. If not, that's OK.

What about the Hilton Marco Island? It looks like a long way from the airport, but might be warm. Rates seem high, but I could use points I suppose.

I thought I'd read that the Gulf side is warmer than the Atlantic side, but if the Atlantic is warmed maybe I should look there.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa (above) is a 75-acre resort in Phuket which is set in lush tropical gardens next to Karon Beach. The beach at Karon is not dirty at all ... you might be thinking of Pattaya.
    [​IMG]
    Hilton Pattaya rooftop pool (above) : Despite of its reputation as a raunchy mass tourism host since US troops came for R&R during the Vietnam War, Pattaya (and the Hilton) is a short boat ride away from many water sports activities like snorkeling, jet skiing, and swimming on Koh Larn (Coral Island), off the coast. Other nearby activities including visiting elephant sanctuary, floating markets, shopping and entertainment venues.​
    [​IMG]
    As for the Hua Hin Hilton (above), it is located in a stretch of land between downtown and the sandy beaches. Hua Hin is a quite little town where the King of Thailand resides in his art nouveau palace. Founded as a royal spa, Hua Hin retains palaces, a quaint railway station and traces of fishing village charm, having restrained pollution, entertainment, and development.​
    [​IMG]
    Conrad Koh Samui (above) is reviewed here by Gleff ... but this will requires you some extra traveling.​
    There are also two great city hotels in Bangkok that are as good as resort hotels if located on a beach: Millennium Hilton Bangkok on the Chao Phraya River and Conrad Bangkok on Wireless Rd. Utilize the search engine to review their main and comparison threads.​

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both the Hilton Marco Island resort (about 50 miles from RSW) and the two WA properties (about 25 miles from RSW) in Naples are all nice beach hotels.

As far as Atlantic/Gulf temps go you are right the Atlantic side is cooler however with MIA/FLL being 150+ miles more south than TPA it can make a tremendous difference in the cooler months its not unusual for TPA to been 20+ degrees cooler at night in Dec/Jan/Feb than Miami.

anabolism and Kalboz like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Since this is right on or right next to a beach, this sounds good. I'm looking for a place that is one flight from HKG and is on a beach for 1-3 days of swimming and relaxing.
    Since this requires a boat ride to get to a swimmable beach, it doesn't sound right for my needs on this trip.​
    Sounds very nice, just not for this trip (not being on a beach).​

I've read great things about it here and FT, but you can't get there on OneWorld as far as I can tell, so it's out for me.​
    I've stayed at the Conrad Bangkok a few times, and it is a superb property. It's walking distance to the MTR and so great for exploring Bangkok. But, I'm looking for a beach this trip.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, great point. So, what would you recommend for 2-3 days of relaxing and beach swimming? If Clearwater is further north, would the water be colder there as well as the air at night, or might the water be warmer even if the air is colder?

The Hilton web site shows the following properties as available, using a search for TPA and FLL:
    TPA:
    Hilton Clearwater​
    DT Tampa Bay (recommended against upthread)​
    MIA or FLL:
    Hilton Fort Lauderdale​
    Hilton Bentley​
    ES Deerfield Beach​
    W-A Boca Raton Resort​

Probably have to use an award, since the lowest rate I can find is $263 (at the Clearwater) and most are in the $300-$400 range. (Bentley even higher!)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a little different location, but would you consider PNS?

Lots of eagle flights to Pensacola from DFW or you can connect through MIA.

There are a bunch of Hiltons on the beach and the water is warmer in the gulf.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't connect through MIA because that would be an extra segment each way, and my RTW is maxed out. Plus, I need award space to bring a friend on this one part (to Florida) and there's nothing available on my dates for PNS. But, FLL and MIA are both available, as is TPA. Hilton Fort Lauderdale and Hilton Bentley are more expensive than the Clearwater Hilton for my dates, but they do have award rooms available. Any advice/recommendation between these?

Also, I thought in April the water is warmer in Miami or Fort Lauderdale than on the Gulf, or is that just Clearwater, and Pensacola is warmer?

Kalboz likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First off Pensacola being almost 300 miles north of Tampa is likely to be much cooler In early April.
    Your decision is the end is probably going to made (and affected) by the weather. Perhaps if you have enough HH points you book two properties and hope for the best .. but then you also have to book the flights.

What occured weatherwise for the last two years in not going to help at all.
    Winter 2010/2011 Tampa Bay area (and north Florida- Pensacola) had one of its coldest winter in a long time I believe they had furries in Pensacola but for pretty much all Jan into much of Feb the night time temps in Tampa was in the 30s so the gulf would have been still pretty cool in early April.
    Winter 2011/2012 was one of the mildest in a long time, April temps were if memory serves close to the 90s.

Personally I would roll the dice and book either the cheaper Clearwater property or if you want play it safe(r) the Boca
    or Fort Lauderdale Hilton.

anabolism and Kalboz like this.
  12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it flying into/out of FLL vs MIA make much difference for the FLL Hilton? FLL gets in 90 minutes later (11:30 PM vs 9 PM). I know MIA is a zoo, but is that much?

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again I would just go with what is convenient both with schedule and/or airfare cost. Personally I dont think MIA is half as bad as it is made out to be and certainly it has improved considerably even in just the last year and unless there are weather problems the airport is not super busy at 900 pm.

Your wait for luggage (currently) at MIA will be longer but it is anticipated that the new baggage system there will be functional before the end of the year. After you pick up your bags you go up two levels and take a train to the consolidated car rental facility, head out up -1-95 ( exit at Sunrise Blvd) all thinks being equal you should be at the Hilton around 1100 pm.
    At FLL you will take the rental shuttle to the off-airport facilty and drive north on A1-A not a very long distance but lots of traffic lights.. arrival 1200-1230am

anabolism likes this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about a cab or shuttle from either FLL or MIA, with no checked bags? The flight into MIA lands at 9:30, while the flight into FLL lands at 11:00, so I'm thinking it can't take 90 minutes more to get to Fort Lauderdale from MIA rather than FLL.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach? They have better rates than the Fort Lauderdale Hilton. What's the beach and area like?

16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No luggage, no rental car pickup .... taxi MIA to the Fort Lauderdale Hilton 40-45 mins from FLL about 20 mins.

I have never visted the ES Deerfield or the beach there but the beach to the north (been to Spanish River Park many times) and the south are both nice.

I know you want to avoid a rental car but I believe if staying at the Hilton or the ES and flying into MIA your taxi fares will be much higher than a rental..... but parking here is expensive about $30 per day.

As far as shuttles go the Hilton may pick up at FLL but I would very much doubt at MIA.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the Florida part, it sounds like the Hilton Fort Lauderdale might be the best choice, and flying into/out of FLL enough better than MIA that it's worth it even though FLL lands at 11 PM vs 9:30 for MIA. Now, if I can find a decent rate there!

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the beachy property in Asia, I waited too long to book the early January Phuket flights, which are now sold out on the days I want. I can either stay longer (5 nights instead of 3), or go elsewhere, such as Bali, or maybe Chennai or Colombo. Seems that Colombo doesn't really have a beach, and there's no ocean swimming in Bali or Chennai, but they might be fun. (Looking at the OneWorld route map, there's also Penang and Kota Kinabalu, but those don't seem to have Hilton or Starwood properties.)