BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU BOOK FLIGHTS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Mar 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this isn't news, but I just had an astounding experience - looking at booking HKG_KUL

Booking on Malaysia website HK$1045 rt (about USD 133)
    SAME flights booked on aa.com USD 1077 (almost 10x the cost if booked on different website)! These were booked as CX (even if flown by Malaysia) so I checked the non code share CX flights on the CX website - HKD 1655.

This followed my looking at a fare HKG-BKK on Thai - which on their website was about USD150. Had a "voucher" that could only be booked directly with them, so I called and asked the cost for the same flights .... over USD 800! I asked to make sure it wasn't a mistake - no "there are cheaper fares available online" .... no kidding. As an aside- this makes the voucher I was given totally useless, and yes I had asked for one that I could use electronically- but they denied it was possible.

Just a reminder that it really pays (no pun intended) to pay attention to where you are booking.

charlilo, barismanco, Mikus33 and 3 others like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Point of sale restrictions often can skew prices significantly. In this particular market I can price the exact same flights at $133 or $91 depending on if I use a US or HK point of sale. Same fare bucket, too. The HK point of sale matches a price published by TigerAir while the US PoS does not.

Similarly codeshare flights can be more or less expensive than the operating carrier depending on the agreement between the carriers.

Beyond that, using the site of a 3rd party airline to price a flight seems like generally a bad idea IMO.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the $91 fare on Tiger? I am searching using HKG as starting point so I assume the is the POS (?not sure how this is determined). I always knew buying on a 3rd party site wasn't good, but this blew me away.
    Just wanted to remind people that it pays to look around.
    None of this addresses Thai's incredible fare difference (I did ask if I could call their HK office and book through there - but they said no - probably as (not) useful as any other information they give out), then again isn't Thai teetering on the edge of bankruptcy (VBG) - not so surprising to those who know Thai politics or have flown Thai ;)

Calpaneros2 and uggboy like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also one should stick to currency of the PoS. Case in point, pricing a domestic flight in India, gave two results depending on which website one chose; I.e indian rupees, or USD. Given that many of our CC no longer charge foreign transaction fees, it should be a no brainier.

Calpaneros2 and uggboy like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the dates I searched I found it on both Tiger and MH.

Google Flights is a pretty good resource for this sort of thing.

uggboy likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for my dates it was different $91 on tiger, $130 on MH - google flights gave worse fares than matrix?!? (aren't they run by the same people)
    Anyway it's worth it to me to pay a little more for MH b/c I can interline my bag (I'm originating in the US on a separate ticket, but oneworld so they should interline)

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Double-check the policies on that. Many airlines are cutting back on that benefit. I think BA is one who no longer interlines on separate tickets at all, IIRC.

anileze likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called before I bought the ticket and agent said no - asked her to check since the written policy said yes (AA to MH) eventually she came back and said yes. Of course what happens at the airport is the final word ;)

9. UAPhil

UAPhil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I flew some domestic intra-Turkey segments on Turkish Airlines. The US price was over $900; the price booking on the TK web site was about $250.