Be afraid, be very afraid - for Pakistani girls - 14 yo girl shot on school bu

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by estnet, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Her "crime" - being an activist for the right of girls to education! The story describes her participating in a UNICEF forum for children and other amazing acts. It is a very painful, but important story IMHO

"A gunman walked up to a bus taking children home from school in the volatile northern Swat Valley and shot Malala in the head and neck. Another girl on the bus was also wounded."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Taliban-gunmen-shoot-14-year-old-girl-activist-3930877.php

2. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I lived in that region for a couple years, and stories like this pop up semi-regularly. It always just causes me such pain. I remember when the Taliban doused those girls with acid (to their faces) for the monsterous crime of going to school, and two of the girls fathers disowned them (since they brought shame and infamy to the family/now they couldn't be married off because of the burns). The world is far too cruel, sometimes.

estnet likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I think we don't appreciate how much we have in so many other countries. Do you know of any way to help these women/girls with some kind of financial aid or contribution to places that provide medical aid to them?