BD more expensive than LH codeshare option on same route

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by TuxTraveller, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at several routes lately, but in particular booked LHR-TXL (operated by BD) and the LH codeshare option was consistently cheaper than the BD ticket for all the weeks I looked at. Anyone know the logic behind this?

Obviously booking on the BD website would give more miles using the BMI cc and would make it possible to maybe use an eGUV... are they purposely charging us for this priviledge?

2. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

FlyingOnceMore Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is the TXL-LHR sector. Looking at May for example; with a few exceptions the lowest economy fare bucket bmi currently have loaded on that sector is 'H' across the board.

3. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I just expected BD revenue management to have been aligned a bit more with LH revenue management..

I was looking at various weeks and the LH codeshare was consistently cheaper than the BD, also when they were selling from the same fare bucket. Seems odd that LH is trying to outcompete BD when LH owns BD...

oh well I'm sure it's some genius idea by BD revenue management [​IMG]

yes I did notice that the TXL-LHR leg was in a higher fare bucket though didn't realise it was the case as far out as May, but it was still more the fact that LH was seemingly outcompeting BD's prices on the codeshare that surprised me a bit.

4. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Genius idea? No. chicken-up as usual? Most likely.

Unfortunately they seem neither to have anyone who manually checks, or the systems in place, that would flag this stuff. You'll be amazed how quickly things like this get fixed when we bring them to their attention.

5. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My attempt at sarcasm was lost.. I blame the smiley :)

I'm just surprised that LH hasn't stepped in here. This is an area I find LH to be very good at so I would have expected them to 'teach' BD some of the tricks, but I suppose part of the problem is BD IT that's not providing the right tools for them to get some reasonable info to base decisions on.

6. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If the right systems are in place and working properly, it should be flagging as an exception in sales reporting. If the volume of sales coming from a particular sales source, or in this case bookings on the LH codeshare, are deemed outside normal parameters, they would know to investigate.

TuxTraveller likes this.
  7. There is a widespread misconception that 'the Germans are in'. Perhaps at a corporate level, but honestly, bmi is a separate business unit and there is little commonality or cross over in day to day operations with the sister airlines.

flospi likes this.
  8. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm starting to realise my misunderstanding.. I'm just being a bit slow :D

Revenue management is definitely an area I would think a LH workshop would be a good thing for BD, it's never seemd to be their strong side...

9. It may, nonetheless, be a case of be careful what you wish for... competence could be more costly in the long run.

IMH likes this.
  10. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wise words... I don't mind them being more competent when it comes to their route planning and revenue management, though perhaps in other areas of their business I'm happy for them to stay less aware and responsive :p

It's just such a shame that I cannot fly BD most of the time as they have axed so many of their routes and then when I finally need to fly a route they do operate I then find their fares to be completely out of whack.. Oh well I'll be flying them at the end of this month... let's see if I'll be successful in using one of my eGUVs to enjoy a bit of BD business class :D