bbcode going crazy - indent nested in text format tags?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Gargoyle, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've seen smaller examples before, but I just had the bbcode go crazy. It seems to have to do with getting indent tags nested inside text formatting tags (bold, size, etc).

It seems to have been caused by trying to apply formatting in the rich text window, and that got applied to the wrong areas. I might have started it by trying to insert a carriage return in end of a line with a hyperlink. All of this was going on in the master photo thread list

Look at this and you'll see the mess I had to manually clean up. It just kept self propagating and getting worse. (Of course, I thought I'd saved a backup this morning, but I couldn't locate it; probably saved to an incorrect folder and I'll find it tomorrow.)

Code:
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][INDENT=2][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][B][URL='http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/travel-photos-hit-us-with-your-best-shot.974/']Travel Photos - Hit Us With Your Best Shot[/URL][/B][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/INDENT]
    [/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][INDENT=2][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][SIZE=5][B][B][COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)].[/COLOR][/B][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/INDENT]
    [/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

SC Flier likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty :cool:.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    it was nasty, it kept self propogating. If I went to the bbcode editor and deleted all the junk inside the indent tags, but left a piece of formatting tag nested around the indents, then saved, closed, and reopened, it recreated lots of junk inside the tags.

Also, it replicated downstream, so everywhere below where I messed it up got messed up too. Ended up copying it all to notepad, deleting all the format tags with global replace until it was completely clean, and rebuilding from there.

I think it started when I had a column of indented hyperlinks, and in the rich text editor I hit enter to create a new row, and pasted new text in there, then hyperlinked the text. My carriage return must have landed inside an indent code.

I'll be more careful to save my backups where I can find them after this!

SC Flier likes this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been considering building some scripts to remove all bbcode tags. Is there such a tool out there already somewhere? Perhaps a webpage where code can be pasted and then stripped of all tags?

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any text editor should be able to find and replace.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I use htmlpad, a really nice app with a validation tool built in, but I'm not sure if it will adapt to bbcode. Haven't tried that yet.
    but then you have to do it tag by tag, rather than doing a global strip.