BBC presenter in 14-hour SQ flight while having a heart attack

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by keepinitsimple, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there is more to this than the article insinuates

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-flight-pilot-refused-land.html#ixzz1Jnpscf4N
    "A BBC radio presenter who suffered a heart attack while flying home from covering the Japanese tsunami may take legal action against the airline after it refused to divert the jet to the nearest hospital.
    Max Pearson had to endure the 14-hour Singapore Airlines flight in cardiac arrest and now, according to colleagues, has been left with long-term heart damage as a result."

I am looking at the possibilities
    1.) He kept quiet. DId not realise it was a heart attack. Only when he went to hospital they diagnosed it as an attack instead of heartburn.
    Unlikely as there is talk of a doctor attending to him
    2.) Heart attack just after takeoff. SQ should have come back to SIN imediately. SQ is at fault
    3.) Heart attack mid way.
    If this was an A380, was LHR the nearest A380 capable airport? Was this flying the polar route? Else SQ is at fault
    If not the A380, as I am sure there are many airports to land. SQ would be at fault
    4.) Heart attack near LHR. Best option was to continue to LHR
    5.) The paper has got the story completely wrong.

2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    "A BBC source said: ‘It is lucky he managed to survive. It looks as if he was attended to by one of the passengers, who was a doctor, during the flight.
    ‘He says he asked for them to redirect him to hospital but it didn’t happen. After that it was touch-and-go whether he was going to make the 14-hour flight, but amazingly he did."

Doesn't seem he was quite about it at least..........

3. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is more to this. If SQ were at fault, you can be sure that he would have cried murder after surviving the surgery. I would have...

4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    The question is what did the Doc tell the crew, if the doc said he can make it to LHR then I can understand the crew not diverting. Hard to believe that the doc told the crew this guy needs to get to a hospital an hour ago and they simply felt that he could hold out till they landed @ LHR

5. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is kinda' tough to fathom, craz..
    First of all, to be sure, I'm a different 'doc' .. it most definitely was NOT me!
    ANd I'm naturally glad to see this patient appears to have not only survived, but also continues to improve..
    These are VERY tough situations.. not always a simple diagnosis, particularly in terms of severity..
    Many severely striken patients insist 'it's nothing' & insist upon going home.. instead of to the hospital..
    Others complain vigourously & want to go .. only to find it's not all that serious.. not life threatening..
    In my admittedly limited experience, the flight crew is particularly dependent upion what the onboard doc suggests..
    Perhaps we'll here more about this as the real story comes out.
    Again, the outcome was pretty good, so.. we can all be grateful for that! :)