Battle Of The Flat Beds: EWR-LAX or JFK-LAX on 752

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown both EWR-LAX and JFK-LAX, the former on CO 752s and the later on newly retrofitted PS birds, and I can't say I necessarily prefer one over the other. I like the precheck at EWR...other than that the food and service seem about the same. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seats an service are basically the same. To/from JFK you get UClub access but not for EWR. And JFK is sold as p.s. while EWR is just sold as a regular transcon so if there is an equipment swap you're pretty much hosed.

meFIRST and adambadam like this.
  3. SGJazz

SGJazz Member

Status Points:
    PS has wifi. Does the LAX-EWR have it?

adambadam likes this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe the sCO 752s have wifi yet.

I'd also point out that if you're upgrading ps (JFK) represents a better shot as it's instrument only. Even using an instrument on LAX - EWR, it's a very difficult upgrade due to the smaller J cabin and significant onward connecting traffic in premium cabins.

JFK/ps also has its fair share of paid premium cabin travel, but having been on the ps routes 20+ times in the past two years I've never seen the cabin sell out.

As others have mentioned EWR is likely to get equipment swapped and since 90% of the flights aren't flat-bed configured that operate the routes if you want to SDC or be more flexible you'll likely be giving up the significantly nicer hard product.

genemk2 likes this.
  5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    No guarantee of flat bed seats ex EWR. No club access. No wifi. Also no BF type pillow and duvet. Expect cheesecloth, no pillow.

Catering for many months now, is exactly the same. Sundae and all.

desamo likes this.
  6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    JFK.. without a doubt.

As promised both hard products are very similar. What is different is JFK vs. EWR. EWR is a huge UA hub. Long lines, long walk to gates, very full clubs. JFK is a small UA outpost a shadow to its former self. It has a global first lounge without any first class flights. Curb to gate distance is short. Dedicated p.s. fleet with low utilization and travelling long distances. Your EWR 757 could be coming from nearby and affected by a ground delay program.

desamo likes this.
  7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides PS the only other service JFK has is to IAD.

8. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few more data points:
    • EWR has pre-check, JFK T7 doesn't (and the lines can be significant at JFK and the premium security area at T7 isn't always open)
    • Thanks to the VX challenge, UA currently has a higher frequency to both SFO and LAX out of EWR than JFK. Easier to SDC or move around in case of irr.ops (which you have a higher likelihood of at EWR as others have pointed out).
    • Depending on where you're going in the NY area JFK (and EWR) can both be massively inconvenient.
    • EWR transcon flights have standard premier upgrades. JFK are instrument/miles only.
    Not saying one is better than the other. For me, personally, I take ps flights more frequently than flying ex-EWR - but there's no stock answer of one service being better than another in my opinion.

Hartmann and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:

As someone who flies to LA regularly, I would also like to add the following datapoint
    • If you're like me and travel with luggage ( sometimes a steamer trunk lol) the check in deadline for luggage at JFK is 30 minutes . At EWR is 45 minutes. On many occasions when I've showed up late, the agents (who know me) ok'ed it with the ramp and let me though, with my bags. Sometimes < 20 minutes before departure.
    • I've never had to wait to check in (for bags) at JFK. At EWR, as you know Premier Access ( not BusinessFirst international and not Global Services) the wait is long. Sometimes I just go to the non premier access line. Premier Access is a joke. There is nothing "premier" about it, it basically everyone who has a heartbeat line.
    • No pre-check at JFK yes, but the line is usually short, unless its in the evening or early morning. I usually travel in the afternoon.
    If I had to estimate, during busy time, with checked bags, curbside to club/gate, I would allot 45 minutes at EWR. The same can easily be done in 20 minutes at JFK, even with no pre check line, for the reason that JFK only has LAX/SFO/IAD departures. That's it.

I do like the LAX/SFO shuttle out of EWR though, so it depends on whether I can upgrade or if the client already paid for Business Class anyway. All things being equal, I prefer p.s because of wifi and its a more comfortable ride.

10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way I wish UA would add a comparable (AA) Five Star Serivce or (DL) VIP select product.....( publicly accessible)

11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The result of the higher frequency is fewer flat beds (more A320s) especially SFO-EWR. I do like the schedule out of EWR now, but still find myself on DL more and more due to a combination of scheduling and pricing. For paid Y travel, the economy comfort on DL is a better fall back than p.s. E+ as you get additional recline on the DL EC for transcons.

And yes, EWR-SFO/LAX is CPU eligible, vs. p.s to JFK is not, but both routes are very elite heavy and have quite a bit of paid J, so I would expect to use an instrument if i wanted a flat bed seat, especially during peak times. The original poster mentioned flat beds, so I'm assuming that they qualifies for paid J (like I do at my company) for these routes.

12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me with pre-check my EWR curb to plane time is 10 min. At JFK I budget 30. If it's one of the off occasions I don't get pre-check at EWR than you're right - it's 45.

UA does share T7 with a handful of other carriers and the checkpoint does get rather busy. Sometimes the "premier" line is fast. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's not even open. And sometimes you can go through the secret door to the CX/BA F security. ;)

Agreed.