Battle of Bags: Fliers Complain Over 'Arbitrary' Carry-On Rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jun 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Battle of Bags: Fliers Complain Over 'Arbitrary' Carry-On Rules

This article explains how even veteran fliers (in this case, George Hobica of Airfarewatchdog) get burned by the uneven enforcement of carry-on bag rules. This will continue to be a contentious area with flyers as long as the rules are arbitrarily and irregularly applied to passengers.

Read the article here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/tra...s-complain-over-arbitrary-carry-rules-n130806

uggboy, sobore, blackjack-21 and 3 others like this.
  2. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks that most of the carry-on do not fit because they have that 15" wide measurement even though they are in the 45 linear inches. I happen to be looking for a new bag and the one I was thinking about was 15" wide now I have to rethink what I will get.

Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears to be because of the contradictory measurements that the Airlines use. They have the sizers that were originally designed for the 20" wide rollaboards. However, they publish the 14"x22"x 9" or 45" total inch. The luggage industry, in order to provide more space in the rollaboards and cement their sales of new product, have made a 15"x22" x8" still fits the requirements but won't fit the sizer. (You can also find 13"x24"x8" bags and most other sizes that total to the 45" standard. However, most will not fit the sizer) So the Airlines need to decide on specifications for Carryon bags. Do they want them to fit the sizer? Do they want them to measure 45" total? Or something else (like the garment bag)

My solution, simple as it seems. A sizer based on the Overhead. (Take overheads from decommissioned planes, put them behind the podium. A questionable bag gets sized there before going down the jetway. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit, er, check the bag)

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you'd need overheads at every gate at every airport. And are overheads in every plane type the same size? If not, you'd need several overheads at each gate.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From which airplane type? An E45 or a 787? Do you enforce only "wheels-in" sizing or is it anything goes? I can fit in an overhead bin and I'm definitely not the right size.

As for that "story" I don't think the airlines have actually changed any of their published size limits despite George's claims. UA definitely has not; they're just making a more concerted effort to actually enforce the published rules. That's hardly arbitrary.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    George is right - any movement from having published carry-on size limits, and almost never enforcing them, to actually requiring that passengers follow the rules, is indeed news!

As the airlines have charged for checked luggage, passengers bring onboard everything from full-sized luggage to television sets, and stuff them overhead, while FAs are stuck with dealing with the resulting chaos. Bring on the carry-on bag enforcement, and then we'll all be able to board the plane much more quickly!

blackjack-21 and Mapsmith like this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, George made that up. He also didn't mention that has companies have been advertising non-compliant bags as carry on luggage for a long time now.

Were there any changes in personal item size requirements?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At best only partially. It certainly didn't just happen as is implied and the rules have been published a long time. To claim that they've changed is quite a stretch.

And I have very little sympathy for people who have been breaking the rules complaining when they finally get caught.

9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And so it's the enforcement of those rules that has changed. FWIW, I welcome it, given what has passed for "personal items" and hauled inside the passenger cabin, all too often holding up the plane's departure.

10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for the smaller jets, most overheads are relatively the same size. And very large portion of the Domestic aircraft are the 737/757 models.

I seem to remember when UA installed sizers at the X-Ray Machine, and if it didn't fit through the template, it didn't fly in the cabin.

It still comes down to irregular enforcement of size. If you are going to prohibit bags of a certain size on the aircraft, then don't allow those larger, and for Pete's sake don't allow exceptions like the garment bags. (I can see a passenger in my mind with a garment bag, a 22"(or even 25") rollaboard, and a large 'Laptop case' in line in front of me in the near future!!)

Newscience likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not across all airlines. Even within the 737 or A319/320 families there are different sized bins. UA just refit their Airbii to make the bins bigger and DL is embarking on a similar project for some of their planes.

And they had to remove them when CO sued.

How do you feel about speeding tickets? That's roughly the same analogy. It is not like the rules are all that unclear but people still seem to think it doesn't matter. Sometimes you get caught.

Mapsmith, LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  12. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found it interesting while standing in the premier lane at EWR Terminal C security, that the security vendor checking BP's to validate premier access were also making people stuff their questionably sized bags into a sizer before joining the line. I haven't seen that before, but I also tend to only connect in major hubs vs O&D there so I don't normally go through those major security checkpoints. Maybe this isn't as abnormal as I expected.

Laptop Nomad and Newscience like this.
  13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually don't worry about Speeding tickets much. With over 1.2Million Miles of driving over almost 45 years with only 4 speeding tickets to my name, it just doesn't happen that much. (Sort of like having to gate check my bag. Only on Horizon flights)
    BTW of the four tickets, three wound up being warning tickets, the cop said to slow down and pay attention. The last I pled "no contest" and paid $45 for "wasting a limited resource".

Newscience likes this.
  14. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying a TSA agent was having people check the bags or a contractor for the airline? If the bag is 45 linear inches do they still tell you to size the bag. I was looking at the B&R International wide body Torque. It is 15.5 inches wide, but still fits in the 45 linear inch guidelines. The regular torque fits the sizer, but the wide body has not been tested.

Newscience likes this.
  15. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a TSA agent... the contractor that checks to make sure you're actually Premier Access before getting in the Premier Access lane. I didn't have my Baseline rollaboard with me, just my Verb backpack and Baseline cabin duffle.

Laptop Nomad and Newscience like this.