Basics on Booking Awards Using Executive Club Miles

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by NE Flyer, Sep 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am a newbie to the BAEC, and am trying to understand in more detail how BA awards work both on BA metal and when using partner airlines.

I'm contemplating creating an award from North America to the Far East and am having trouble getting the BA website to show me availability on partner airlines. For example, the search engine often routes me partially on BA (in WT) from asia to London and then to the US even though I suspect that partner availability in business or first is available. Is there anyway to force the website to show me partner availability in that circumstance?

Also, I was wondering if it's possible to have a stop over in a city other than london when using BA miles? Is a stopover possible when booking two one way awards?

Thanks so much for all of your assistance!

NYBanker likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi I am new too but have done a few BA awards, am sure there are better ways from the pros here but this is what i do now. I look up what I wanted to do first on the partner airlines first and then called BA EC direct. You can look at AA as OneWorld partner. I managed JFK to Perth via Cathay w/stopover HKG and then return SYD via Tokyo on JAL to JFK all in Business. For europe, BA website best for trips but only stopover is via LHR in my experience

YULtide likes this.
  4. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    So with a bit of playing around, we were able to book an award partially in J and partially in F on Cathay Pacific. The F leg has us coming back to YYZ, and only after I booked the ticket did I realize that Cathay Pacific may be phasing out F on this route.

Our hope is that our flight (the morning flight on Monday September 10) is unaffected by Cathay's changes, but if we are involuntarily downgraded to J, would we receive a refund of miles? Is it posisble that either BA or Cathay would rebook us in F on a different day or to a different location?

My wife and I would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

5. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points: