Basic United questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by barcelona, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Is there a benefit to using a CR-1 when you are within the 72-hour upgrade window?
    2. Do SWUs have priority over CR-1s?
    3. Is it possible to see upgrade list online?
    4. In terms of upgrade priority, is it better to use your CO or UAL number if they've already been harmonized in terms of status?

Thanks in advance.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Use the # that corresponds to the airline you're flying, UA number on UA metal, CO number on CO metal.

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    To expand a little more, at the upgrade window, the factors for filling the space become status and fare class. The instrument you use (UDU vs. CR-1). does not matter, all that matters is that you have an instrument which can be used.
    2. SWUs and CR-1s book into the same fare bucket and use the same availability, so there is no difference.
    3. It is not possible to see the upgrade list on United flights, however during check-in, you can see where you are on the upgrade list for Continental flights.
    4. Comparable levels of status will always place the fliers of the program native to the metal higher than those of the other airline. Here is the Upgrade order:
    United Metal
    GS
    Presidential Platinum
    1P
    OnePass Platinum
    OnePass Gold
    2P
    OnePass Silver

Continental Metal
    Presidential Platinum
    GS
    Platinum
    Gold
    1P
    Silver
    2P

JohnDeere19 and Mikel like this.
  4. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    The United upgrade lists are accessible via their iPhone app (and possibly Android?) if you've got one of those.

5. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do. Available only within 24 hours and/or after check-in?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes the button dynamically appears at the 24 hour mark, IIRC.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    But is it accurate? Case in point-1k friend was traveling on UA914 SFO-IAD last week and according to the app, she was number 2 on the u/g list prior to heading to SFO. She arrived at the gate and was number 1 on the list on the app but had "dropped" to number 5 on the gate monitor. She showed the list on the app to the gate agent who couldn't explain the difference.

hulagrrl210 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been in my experience. I assume this may have something to do with the mechanics of all the different wait lists? Perhaps the iPhone app only shows the usual one while the gate monitors are doing a merge?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've checked in but can't seem to find the button on my iPhone for the upgrade list. Is this somewhere within my reservations?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  10. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's on the flight status screen.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  11. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured it out. I'm on JFK-SFO, which I think doesn't allow upgrades without using a CR-1 or SWU.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Things like this happen all the time due to people getting bumped onto and off of flights, canceling and purchasing last minute tickets, etc. I wonder if the merge has anything to do with it though.

13. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I previously ticketed through continental's web site a UA JFK-SFO flight for tomorrow. I am now trying to use a CR-1 upgrade but United says it's not eligible since ticketed through continental. Any ideas?

14. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would give UA or CO a ring (whoever your status is with) and have them deal with it.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA does not permit codeshare flights to be upgraded in advance. There is a chance you can get them to convert it from a CO-coded flight to a UA-coded flight but that's not particularly common. Otherwise you'll have to ask at the airport on the day of travel.

16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. In order to upgrade PS you need to support it with either an SWU, CR1 or miles/cash.

17. flydiveplay
    Original Member

flydiveplay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Help requested. I want to book my wife and I on a single itinerary to get her on my Gold Elite privelages. Round trip from point A to point B. In the middle of the six week long trip, she needs to go back home, round trip from point B to point A, and then back to point B to finish the trip. Can I buy her a ticket in the middle of the first itinerary?? Thanks or the help.

18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can. Mileage runners do this all the time by booking their positioning flights to surround a good mileage run deal.

19. flydiveplay
    Original Member

flydiveplay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!! I appreciate your help!

20. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful of special fares. For instance, if the original fare required a 2-week stay and your "middle" ticket took her back to point A in less than two weeks, the carrier might complain. In such cases, it's better to book the "middle" ticket on a different carrier.

This is a bit different from "positioning" tickets mentioned by mowogo since those usually involve a different beginning or ending point, e.g., a positioning fare might be Point A to Point B and return, with the mileage run starting at Point B but the mileage run itinerary doesn't bring you back to or through Point A.