Basic itinerary Cape town

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Travelrus, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    I know there are lots to see and do. Is 4 days enough for brief overview of the city?

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four days should be enough time to see the highlights - Table Mountain, Kirstenbosh Botanical Gardens, Cape Point, Robben Island, a wine tasting tour.

savydog likes this.
  3. Remky
    Original Member

Remky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure it is. I was there in November for about three days. It may seem very touristy, but the open top bus tours are a nice way to see some of the great scenery and get around to some of the sights (I recommend the blue route). Although I didn't make it to the Cape, I did take the train down to see the penguin colony at Simonstown and the lovely beaches at Muizenburg. And heed those guidebook suggestions about taking a jacket with you to the top of Table Mountain.

savydog likes this.
  4. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely see a lot of Cape Town in 4 days, though you'll feel a bit rushed. Cape Point will take a full day, especially if you combine it with Simons Town and Boulder Beach to see the penguin colony. You can do Robben Island and the Waterfont another day, Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch another day and a full day tour of wine country. There's definitely more to see in the area, but 4 days is enough to see the top highlights.

Keep in mind that weather is somewhat unpredictable there, so if you see that it's sunny over table mountain one morning, you'll want to head up then as in a few short hours it could completely change up there and be blanketed with clouds.

Travelgirl, alpinesoccer and savydog like this.
  5. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Is it realistic to try to squeeze in some shark diving and/or whale watching into a 4 to 5 day trip to Capetown? Also, one of our guidebooks reports that the Robin Island tour is less than exciting and should be missed if time is short; I thought I would ask people here what they think...

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the time of the year, a day trip to Hermanus for land based whale watching is worth the day. I dit it twice and would do it a third time.

7. geneoliver

geneoliver Member

Status Points:
    Cape town attraction
    - Atlantic Seabord
    - Blaauwberg
    - cape Flats
    - Cape Helderberg
    - Cape Town City Bow