Basic Churning Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jasoneskin, Oct 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jasoneskin

jasoneskin New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone-

Have a very basic question about churning, so I'm preemptively apologizing if I sound like an idiot. Are the points/miles gained by opening up a card locked to that card, or do they get attributed to that airline's reward membership (assuming the ones I'm gaining from the card are for a specific airline).

My current Capital One card is non-airline specific and they essentially give me a refund when I book the ticket through them. I'd like to be able to "pool" all of these miles/points that I'm accruing, but it looks like each bonus I get is locked to that card.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance!

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whaddup, and welcome to MP.

It makes sense. It gets rewarded to your membership account. Let's say you have 50000 miles in your American Airlines account from flying. If you open up a new AA CC for the first time, and the bonus
    is 30000 miles, you will have a total of 80000 miles after u get the bonus.

With capital one, u can buy any ticket on any airline but there's only one way to earn capital one points, by using that card.

I think I answered or question?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. jasoneskin

jasoneskin New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much! So to confirm, let's say I get 50k miles from a signup bonus on an American Airlines CC: to redeem those miles on AA, I have to use that same CC I got the bonus from? I.e. I couldn't use my current Capital One card to book, leveraging my newly acquired AA miles AND the current points/miles I have on my Capital One card?

SuperKirby likes this.
  4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I edited my last post to make it more clear.

Once u get the AA CC bonus, it goes into your AA account which then has nothing to do with the CC anymore.
    Correct, you cannot combine Capital One points with anything else.

Once you earn AA miles, its now in a frequent flyer account. That's true to all frequent flyer and hotel programs. U can't combine any of them.

bigx0 and bez7 like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the miles from your AA credit card are deposited into your AA frequent flyer account. Once there in your AAdvantage account your credit card has nothing further to do with it. You could even cancel the card but your miles would still be there in your AAdvantage account.
    You could. Not sure the point, but you could.

SuperKirby and bez7 like this.
  6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a slightly different but similar topic....

When u fly, u earn miles...

If u use your capital one points and book an AA flight, however many miles u fly that day, the miles go into your AA frequent flyer account. That make any sense?

Espan and bez7 like this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I *think* the OP was asking if he/she could do something like get a ticket using AA miles yet pay any fees for that ticket with Cap One points. I would say yes, he could. He can't, of course, combine 50K AA miles with 50K Cap One "miles" to get a AA ticket needing 100K.

SuperKirby, bez7 and Espan like this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    You've gotten good advice and info above. Just to further, exceptions to what you describe are cards like the SPG Amex and Sapphire Prefered/Ink Bold cards which earn proprietary points, that can then be transferred into an array of different hotel/airline and more program points/miles/etc

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. jasoneskin

jasoneskin New Member

Status Points:
    Very helpful everyone, thanks so much

Espan, bez7 and SuperKirby like this.
  10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I wasn't 100‰ on the question. But hopefully OP got his answer!

Edit: I meant %. Have no idea what ‰ is.

bez7 likes this.
  11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I meant 100%

Edit: Oops sorry for the redundant post. I don't think I can delete on the app?

Espan and bez7 like this.
  12. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was confused by that a couple times as well, but I think what you have to do is publish/post it, then you get the option to edit/delete.... it'd be nice to have a delete button inside the compose window

SuperKirby likes this.
  13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most cards accumulate miles/points in the appropriate hotel or airline account, which will continue to exist even after you cancel the card.

Some programs accumulate points in an artificial currency (Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards) that WILL VANISH if you cancel all of the cards associated with the currency. So you can cancel a Chase Sapphire if you still have a Chase Ink Bold.

The advantage of the 2nd kind is that you can transfer those artificial points into points in airline/hotel programs. Chase Ultimate Rewards points for example can be transferred 1:1 to United Miles or Hyatt Points. Each program has their own partners. Not everything transfers to everything.

Certain other programs also allow transfers. SPG points can be transferred to lots of places. Virgin Atlantic can be transferred to Hilton 1:2. Each program has their own partners.

If what you want is to collect airline miles, the question is what airline or airlines? Say you wanted to accumulate United Miles. You could apply for United credit cards, Chase UR Cards like the Sapphire Preferred/Freedom/Ink trio, and even maybe Wyndham points that transfer to United at an interesting ratio. Other airlines are different. You'll need to make your questions more specific.

SuperKirby and bigx0 like this.
  14. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    ‰ is per mil (short for per mille).
    It stands for parts per thousand.

SuperKirby likes this.
  15. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    got it, thanks!